Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

LED clock with recycled parts
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LED clock with recycled parts

by len17 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:00 am

I made this as a Christmas present for someone who has a basement full of old tech.

(click here for more pics)

The LED display is salvaged from an old clock-radio. The enclosure (which isn’t fully enclosed) is made from old cassette tape cases and decorated with album art (about as old as the LED) printed on transparent decals. It looks a bit rough – I didn’t have a skilled design team working on it. :)

The electronics are loosely based on the Ice Tube clock. I used a BoArduino because it has a microcontroller and a power supply on a small board. I replaced the BoArduino’s 16 MHz oscillator with a watch crystal and set the microcontroller to run on its internal clock. (I had some trouble with the watch crystal so the clock isn’t as accurate as it should be.) I found an old-school driver for the non-multiplexed LED display chip (Micrel MM5451). There’s a photocell for automatic brightness control.

The firmware is also partly from the Ice Tube, partly written by me. Mike’s Arduino version of the Ice Tube firmware also came in handy for prototyping. Since the display has only four digits, this clock doesn’t have fancy text menus like the Ice Tube.

len17

Firmware

by len17 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:25 pm

Here is the firmware for the clock.
Attachments
LEDClock.zip
(13.64 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

len17

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.