PowerBoost 1000 with no output

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
heimi

PowerBoost 1000 with no output

Post by heimi »

I have a PowerBoost1000 connected via the micro USB Socket from a 2A wall adapter. It gets very hot as mentioned in the FAQ. When I connect a LiIon-cell to the connector, it seems to load since the current from the wall adapter increases. But there is no output power. A connected 6V-bulb does nothing, a red LED with 2k resistor blinks with about 2 Hz. Connecting the EN to 5V has no effect.
Is there a minimal load for the device?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PowerBoost 1000 with no output

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The PowerBoost doesn't have a required minimum load, but the components shouldn't heat up without a load.

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

heimi

Post by heimi »

Hi
I received a second PowerBoost that works as expected: foto PowerBoost_OK. The connected Raspi works well, blue LED is on, device is no hotspot.
Fotos in the zip file
The first PoerBoost si not working: foto PowerBoost_fail. After the failed testing I soldered headers to connect a switch for the enable input with no success. There are no shortcuts. Potential at EN is about 1.2V. Blue LED never went on. LED near chrg is on, device is hot.
Attachments
PowerBoost.jpg
PowerBoost.jpg (139 KiB) Viewed 98 times
PowerBoost_OK.jpg
PowerBoost_OK.jpg (146.24 KiB) Viewed 98 times

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You don't have a battery connected to the PowerBoost.

The PowerBoost 1000C requires a LiPo. If you try to power a load without one, it can damage the MCP73871 load-sharing LiPo charger.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”