📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

What should I control with a guitar?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

What should I control with a guitar?

by chatham on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:26 am

So I've managed to build an open-source device that more or less reads how you're playing your guitar. The current firmware on it allows you to use the guitar as a guitar hero controller, where you can play guitar hero by mapping notes or chords to buttons. I've got a kit I'm trying to sell, but I'm a little burnt out on the project, so I'm looking for some ideas on how to expand the platform to give me a project I want to work on. Currently, I'm thinking of turning it into the world's cheapest (and fairly crappy) MIDI guitar, but I'd love to be working on something new and crazy, or figuring out some really strange way to use a guitar to interface into something else. It's currently USB and Wii compatible, if that helps. You can check out the project at www.OpenChord.org, if you're curious about the technology behind it, but I'd love to hear some ideas about crazy things I could do with it.
OpenChord.org - Open Source kits to let you play Guitar Hero with a real guitar, or build your own Wii/banned/USB controllers.

chatham

Re: What should I control with a guitar?

by adafruit on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 am

oh for reals, this is super freaky cool. if you can finagle a 30 second video showing it working we'll bl0g it up & we promise you'll get lots of attention :)

adafruit

by Entropy on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:51 am

Have it output DMX-512 to automatically control some lighting as you play?
Entropy

by len17 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:49 pm

TV remote control? You could map various chords to your favourite channels. It'd never get lost behind the cushions!

len17

by chatham on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:04 am

Wow, thanks for the encouragement! I keep meaning to take some more new videos; I'll get on that this week...

Thanks for the tip on DMX 512, too; I'm a beginner at best at real guitar, and know nothing about performance/lighting or anything, so learning about that sort of stuff is perfect.

I also dig the TV remote.. Or couple it up with TV-B-Gone, and walk down the street turning on televisions with your magic guitar....
OpenChord.org - Open Source kits to let you play Guitar Hero with a real guitar, or build your own Wii/banned/USB controllers.

chatham

by macegr on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:46 am

How about a giant flying robot?
macetech LLC - http://www.macetech.com
macegr

by FazJaxton on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 pm

This is awesome! Really great work. I can't wait for the video!
FazJaxton

by chatham on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Wow, so I suck at timely video producing /getting a camera. But there is short overall introductory video on the main page now, and I'm going to be taking some more photos and videos this weekend. Everything is at www.OpenChord.org - thanks for checking it out!

chatham

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.