adafruit audio fx sound board

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dewfish

Re: adafruit audio fx sound board

Post by dewfish »

Ok, so I've removed the red soldiered trigger wire and replaced it with a wire that has a plug on the end that slides onto any trigger pin I want. I then uploaded the whole demo track to the soundboard and used trigger 3. When the motion sensor was triggered, the words TRACK 3 TRACK 3 TRACK 3 were repeated over and over. I then tried 4 to 10, they all repeated over and over except for 5 which said TRACK 5.2 only once.
Where do I go from here ?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

It sounds like it's working. Here are the example filenames for reference:

Code: Select all

T00.ogg
T01RAND0.wav
T01RAND1.wav
T01RAND2.wav
T01RAND3.wav
T01RAND4.wav
T02.wav
T03.wav
T04HOLDL.wav
T05NEXT0.wav
T05NEXT1.wav
T05NEXT2.wav
T06LATCH.wav
T07.wav
T08.wav
T09.wav
T10.wav
By their different names, they are demonstrating different trigger behaviors.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... ring-audio
and looping behavior when a pin is held down is known:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... /faq#faq-3

The audio for pin 3 is a "basic trigger". It will play over and over as long as the pin is asserted.
The audio for track 5 is "play next trigger". It should play the files in order and then loop back to the first.
The audio for track 4 is "hold looping trigger". It will play over and over as long as the pin is asserted.
The audo for track 10 is another "basic trigger". It wil behave just like track 3.

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

I'm wanting C-3PO to say a phrase once every time the motion sensor is activated. I've tried a lot of different things already and nothing has worked. How about I send you the phrase in MP3 format, you change it to WAV for me and name it correctly so it does what I want, then send it back. I also need you to tell me what pin trigger i should put the wire on. I figure it's easier for you to do all this than me keep emailing you back and forth. Can you do this for me please ?
Here's the link to the phrase and it's the second one on the list ( I'm C-3PO )
https://www.soundboard.com/sb/c3po_soundboard_clips

adafruit_support_carter

Sorry, I can't. There are various online conversion tools you can use to go between MP3/WAV format. For sound file editing, Audacity is a good option.

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

Ok then, so if I convert it to WAV, I still don’t know what to name it or what trigger pin to put the wire on. Can you help me with that ?

adafruit_support_carter

The naming is explained in the guide. The names have to follow a certain pattern and the trigger type is based off the names:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... ring-audio

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

I was hoping you could just tell me so I didn’t have to spend hours stuffing around trying different names and wires. You need to understand that electronics are totally foreign to me, anyway. How do I increase the volume ?

adafruit_support_carter

The filename approach is so you don't have to worry about anything electrical. You just decide what trigger behavior you want, and name the file appropriately. The board does this rest.

For the trigger mode you are using, there a couple of pins you can use to adjust volume:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... r-pins-3-9

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

I selected 10 C-3PO phrases which were in MP3 format and I've converted them to WAV. I then named them T05RAND0.WAV through to T05RAND9.WAV with the pin 5 wired up, so that he says one random phrase every time the motion sensor is activated. I found that the test files you sent didn't repeat over and over when using pin 5 pin, whereas the other pins did repeat the same thing over and over until the motion sensor timer turned off. This is not what I want.
So after doing all that I loaded the 10 phrases onto the sound board, activated the motion sensor and nothing happened. Why is this so ?

adafruit_support_carter

It may have something to do with the conversion process. Try using the basic trigger on pin 0 to see if you can get one of them to play. Just rename one of the files T00.WAV and test it using pin 0.

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

I tried what you suggested and still nothing, any other ideas ?

adafruit_support_carter

It might just be the conversion process. Info on that is here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... udio-files

There's a note on wav files at the bottom:
Use 8 or 16 bit rates for WAV, 24-bit does not apparently work
so maybe check that.

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

It says 1411 kbps when I look at the particulars of each Wav file

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

Today I converted my 10 MP3 phrases to WAV using 16 Bits. Hz I didn't alter and I used stereo not mono, as I have two speakers. After doing this with my files named T05RAND.WAV through to T05RAND9.WAV and using pin 5, I still got no sound. I then renamed one file T00.WAV and used pin 0, but I still got no sound. What shall I do now ?

adafruit_support_carter

Since it plays the sample files, the board is working. So just keep trying to figure why your conversion process isn't working.

Try uploading one of your examples here and I'll see if I can get it to play. It will need to be a short sound sample and you may need to rename the file extension - just rename it .zip.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”