adafruit audio fx sound board

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_carter

Re: adafruit audio fx sound board

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I'm not sure why it's not working. The fact that you were able to get the demo tracks to work indicates the board works. I can get that file to play on the Aduio FX board here, so the file and WAV format are OK.

As another way to sanity check the file you downloaded - can you get it to play on your PC?

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

To get the other wav files to play, I just double clicked on them and the windows media player box popped up and automatically started playing the file. When I double clicked on that last file, a large box popped up with all that mumbo jumbo in it, but nothing played. maybe there's some other way to get it to play on my pc that i'm not aware of ?
I'm going to try the test files again to make sure everything is still ok.

adafruit_support_carter

I think it might have something to do with how I'm trying to get the WAV file to you. If it's not playing on your PC, then it's not getting downloaded correctly. I'd say keep working on the process on your end to see if you can figure out how to make your own clips.

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

I discovered the last time I converted MP3 files into WAV via online-convert.com, that although I was choosing 16 mbps, it wasn't doing it at that. I found that I needed to choose 8 bit, 1000 Hz for it to end up being 16 mbps. This still didn't work tho, is there anything in advanced settings i need to change ? What settings did you choose to get the C-3PO phrase to play on your soundboard ? Would the mono or stereo setting make a difference ?

adafruit_support_carter

I used Audacity:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity_(audio_editor)
which provides more direct control over the output format. For specifics, I just went with what is here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... udio-files
Spoiler alert: you'll need to make a small, 22Khz (or lower), 16 bit PCM, mono .wav file!

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

Ok, so I've downloaded that converter and converted my sound files, saved them on my laptop to be sent to the soundboard. I double clicked on the converted saved file and let it play. The voice is so slow and drawn out, is this normal or should it sound like the unconverted file did ?

adafruit_support_carter

It should sound like the initial file. It did for me with the C3P0 test file I used.

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

Did you use windows 7 or did you do it on a Mac. I read somewhere it won't work using Windows 7, it can only go as low as 32 bit from what I understood. Maybe that's what happened to me, i'm not sure. I feel like i'm talking to someone different every time i get a response here. I get told to convert files using the link to one site, then get told to use a different site later on. Why is this soundboard so hard to use, it's driving me nuts.

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

I just right clicked on the newly converted files that I did at 22 Hertz and 16 Bits, and its saying they are all 705 kbps, would this be why the files are playing slow ? Why would they be 705kbps when I did them at 16kbps, this happened on that other conversion site too. I had to set it to 8 kbps to bet 16 kbps. Is there anyone in Perth Australia I can get to look into all of this for me because this back and forth on here is doing my head in ?

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

Why are you ignoring me now ? You didn't answer my question about windows 7. Am I abel to use window 7 or not ?

adafruit_support_carter

I wouldn't think there would be any issue using Win 7. I was using linux, but the wav file creation is basically a software thing. The OS shouldn't limit it.

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

So why does it work for you and not for me ? There must be something different that's preventing it from working for me. It would be a whole lot easier if you'd just do the files for me then email them to me to my outlook email.

adafruit_support_carter

Sorry, I can't do that. And it would be best if you could figure out how to create the WAV files yourself so you can do it again when you want. Just keep trying in Audacity and double/triple make sure all the output settings are done to match what the Sound FX board requires.

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

I'm converting the I am C-3PO MP3 FILE TO WAV. The instructions tell me i have to convert files to wav at no more than 16 bits, the khz can vary but the higher it is, it takes up more space, and it can be mono or stereo but stereo takes up more space also. So taking this into consideration, I set the conversion to 8 bits, 8000 HZ and set it to mono. After it's been converted, I click on the file and I can see particulars of the file. It shows the bit rate as 64 kbps which is ridiculously more than it should be and what I set it to. If there's 1000 bits in a kb, no wonder the files aren't playing. Why does it end up at 64 kbps when I set it at 8 bits ?

dewfish

Post by dewfish »

Hello, can someone answer my question please. I'm using the converter app that you sent me the link for, so why doesn't it work correctly ?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”