MO Adalogger and Hardware Serial doesnt work with FONA_SMS_R

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_mike

Re: MO Adalogger and Hardware Serial doesnt work with FONA_S

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

tkisner wrote:So would my pin definition look like the following

#include "Adafruit_FONA.h"

//I don't list the RX and TX as they are working and connected directly to the hardware pins that are appropriate
#define FONA_RST 5 //Assuming I connect to GPIO 5
#define FONA_RI 6 //Assuming I connect to GPIO 6
Yes, that's correct.
tkisner wrote:I did notice that there is an RST pin labeled on the MO board. Is that the pin I should use located in the top left of the pinout diagram of the MO
No, that's the pin that forces the SAMD21 microcontroller on the Feather M0 to reset. It's only an input, and will immediately terminate any code that happens to be running on the board.

The FONA's RST pin does the same thing to the SIM808 module, and you need to connect that pin to one of the Feather's GPIO pins. The Feather needs to be able to force the SIM808 to reboot in a known state.
tkisner wrote:I believe I want to use the IDE reference number for the GPIO pin, the numbers in purple, and not the physical pin numbers, the numbers in gray.
That's correct. The other labels describe alternate functions for each pin, and we include the physical pin number because that makes it easier to look things up in the datasheet.

You don't need any of that information if you're using a pin for simple GPIO with ditigalRead() and digitalWrite().
tkisner wrote:Am I also correct in my understanding in order for the SMS Auto Reponse sketch to work, RI needs to be connected and functioning in order to notify of the received SMS as an interrupt?
Yes.

By itself, the microcontroller has no way to know whether the SIM808 has received an SMS. It could use AT-commands to check at regular intervals.. a technique called 'polling'.. but that makes both devices do a lot of work for a condition where the answer is usually 'nothing new to report'.

That's why the SIM808 has an RI pin: it holds the voltage on that pin high most of the time, but pulls RI low for about 125ms when it receives a call or an SMS. Connecting the FONA's RI pin to a GPIO pin on the Feather lets the microcontroller check for messages without having to use AT-commands.

The microcontroller could poll its GPIO pin.. check it every 100ms to see if the signal is high or low.. which is faster and easier than using AT-commands, but still does a lot of work for something that almost never chages. The alternative is to configure another circuit connected to the pin so it sends the microcontroller a message any time it sees the signal drop from high to low. Together, the circuit and the message to the microcontroller are called an 'interrupt'.

When the microcontroller receives an interrupt message, it has the option to stop executing the code currently running and run another function called an 'interrupt handler' or 'interrupt service routine' (ISR). Then when the ISR is done, the microcontroller can go back to the previous code and pick up where it left off. Interrupts are a convenient way to inject new inforamation into code without having to poll for it.

tkisner

Post by tkisner »

Unfortunately,

That didnt work for some reason. I even tried FONA_RI_INTERRUPT as well as FONA_RI

#define FONA_RST 5
#define FONA_RI_INTERRUPT 6

Any other things to try. I guess I can get a scope and make sure that it is pulling low. Are you sure that the driver is not looking for RI interrupt on a hard coded pin that I cannot access?

Thanks,
Travis

adafruit_support_mike

I just reread the SONA_SMS_Response sketch:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_FO ... sponse.ino

and it looks like that code doesn't use interrupts at all. It checks the function .available() to see if there's any incoming message from the FONA. That would mean the problem is related to the Serial connection.

Post the exact code you're using between CODE tags please.

tkisner

Post by tkisner »

It wont let me post the exact code as it says that "I+M+E+I" and "i+m+e+i" are banned spam words but the code is just the FONA_SMS_RESPONSE example with the only change being my define which we have already discussed and then enabling hardware serial and commenting the 3 software serial lines out. i have posted that code below.

#define FONA_RST 5
#define FONA_RI 6

// this is a large buffer for replies
char replybuffer[255];

// We default to using software serial. If you want to use hardware serial
// (because softserial isnt supported) comment out the following three lines
// and uncomment the HardwareSerial line
//#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
//SoftwareSerial fonaSS = SoftwareSerial(FONA_TX, FONA_RX);
//SoftwareSerial *fonaSerial = &fonaSS;

// Hardware serial is also possible!
HardwareSerial *fonaSerial = &Serial1;

[The extension ino has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. try changing this line:

Code: Select all

if (! fona.begin(*fonaSerial)) {
to this:

if (! fona.begin( Serial1 )) {
The compiler can get weird about type conversions on the Serial interfaces, and in this case you don't really need the extra variable.

tkisner

Post by tkisner »

Interesting thought, but the FONA was reporting FONA OK and the SMS was being received just not auto responded to.

So I got an Arduino UNO and hooked up the FONA 808 to it to make sure the Hardware was working and to limit some variables. It worked perfectly and was very easy to hook up. It used Software Serial and not Hardware Serial. Is there a board that can use both so I could test both ways on the same Hardware? So this leaves me wondering what is the difference in Software Serial from Hardware serial because this is the main difference as MO SAMD cannot use Software Serial. I thought this is where you were going in your last suggestion but that didnt fix it.

Can you set up a MO adalogger or proto with an FONA 808 and try it. It only takes a couple minutes to see the issue.

Thank you,
Travis

adafruit_support_mike

I've connected a Feather M0 to a FONA 808 though hardware Serial and they work as expected.

Try doing a loopback test on your Feather M0: send data out with Serial1.println(), and try reading it back with Serial1.readln().

tkisner

Post by tkisner »

Mike,

I will do that. I want to make sure I restate. The FONA 808 works with my MO through Hardware serial. I am not able to run the SMS_AUTO_RESPONSE correctly for some reason. I can run FONA_TEST and it works great.

Since you have it connected, can you run SMS_AUTO_RESPONSE and see if you get an auto response please?

Thank you,
Travis
Last edited by tkisner on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tkisner

Post by tkisner »

I get the first line only when I run the FONA_AUTO_RESPONSE

+CMTI: "SM",5 // I only get this line and the rest never happens.
slot: 5
---> AT+CMGF=1
<--- OK
---> AT+CSDH=1
<--- OK
AT+CMGR=5
+CMGR: "REC UNREAD","+17132987400","","19/01/26,08:11:16-24",145,4,0,0,"+12063130055",145,5
---> AT+CMGF=1
<--- OK
---> AT+CSDH=1
<--- OK
AT+CMGR=5
+CMGR: "REC READ","+17132987400","","19/01/26,08:11:16-24",145,4,0,0,"+12063130055",145,5
Test4
Test4
Sending reponse...
---> AT+CMGF=1
<--- OK
---> AT+CMGS="+17132987400"
<--- >
> Hey, I got your text!
^Z
Sent!
---> AT+CMGF=1
<--- OK
---> AT+CMGD=005
<--- OK
OK!

I keep pushing this because this is all I have left to make my project complete.

Thank you,
Travis

tkisner

Post by tkisner »

Hi Mike,

My loopback test works. Hoping you have had a chance to try example sketch FONA_AUTO_RESPONSE and get the correct read out or not with an auto response and the setup we have been discussing?

Thank you,
Travis

tkisner

Post by tkisner »

I would still really appreciate a response to my posts. If this were complicated ask then I would understand but I am merely asking does hardware serial work on FONA_SMS_Response example with a Feather MO adalogger and a FONA 808?

Thank you,
Travis

adafruit_support_mike

Yes, it worked as expected for me. I'm not sure what's causing the problem you're seeing.

tkisner

Post by tkisner »

Mike,

Great, then in the reverse, can I see your connections and setup as this may be my issue.

Did you use the full baud rate of 115200?
DId you change anyhting other than the adding of three comments for Software Serial and remove the one for hardware or did you change any other code?

Thanks,
Travis

adafruit_support_mike

I can post a photo of my connections, but I think I found something relevant in the code:

I threw in some diagnostic Serial.print() statements to check the contents of the input buffer, and occasionally saw fragments of a string instead of a full message. Modifying the input read loop (lines 97-101) to spend longer waiting for the next input character got rid of the erroneous breaks:

do  {
      *bufPtr = fona.read();
      Serial.write(*bufPtr);
      delay( 5 );  //  <--- was delay( 1 );
    } while ((*bufPtr++ != '\n') && (fona.available()) && (++charCount < (sizeof(fonaNotificationBuffer)-1)));
Try that and see if it helps.

tkisner

Post by tkisner »

That did not solve the issue it seems. I went back and tried to run FONA_TEST again and i did notice that the reads dont work as reliably as they should. Is there something that can be done to help with the reliability of the serial communication? The reads sometimes works such as the r and R command to read the texts stored in the Sim card but it is very intermittent. It does work after several tries but many times on the R (Read all), it will fail before reading 1, a few, or all of the texts on the Sim card. I wonder if that could be some indicator as to why the AutoResponse is not working as I believe it is checking to see if there is a text message that has been received.

Thank you,
Travis

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”