Pi Hole heat problems.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pi Hole heat problems.

by keli on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:18 pm

I'm worried about the heat generated on my Pi Hole. I'm sensitive to the smell of over heated electronics, until I made some housing changes to the Hole, it was running way to hot, to the point I could smell it when I just walked into my computer room. The Hole web admin page says that the pi cores were running at 142° F. The Hole kit comes with a plastic case, TFTPi display (hat), and faceplate for the TFTPi, so the Hole is basically in a closed HOT box, I could even feel the plastic case heating up. Really bad thermal design, that will shorten the model 3B+ life, and possibly cause it to throttle the the speed of the cores. My solution was temporarily pull the Pi and TFTPi out of the case, and add 3 heatsinks to the Pi. The temp dropped down to 120° F, a drop of 22°, and no more smell of overheated electronics. I think you should change the kit design and use a simple case that just has a top cover (with slot for GPIO), bottom cover, no sides, and mini fan on the top cover. It looks like you sell stacking headers that would allow you to connect to the TFTPi through the top cover, header to Pi, then header to TFTPi, with enough clearance for the TFTPi for the fan to pull in air, or GPIO ribbon cable, but that would put the TFTPi outside the case. Active cooling with heatsinks might drop the core temp another 5° or more. Keli
keli

Re: Pi Hole heat problems.

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:45 am

140F is about 60C, which shouldn't have any effect on the lifetime of the hardware. The Pi3B+'s microprocessor is rated for industrial operation at a core temperature of 85C (185F), so you aren't anywhere near the limits that would cause early hardware failure.

Heatsinks never hurt though, and the Pi3B+ can benefit from active cooling when it's enclosed. It can use up to 1A average current when all four cores are active, and the gigabit Ethernet module uses 170mA all by itself.

The microprocessor idles at about 400mA average current though, which is comparable to the RasPi model B. The Pi Hole code shouldn't put any serious load on the cores unless you have an enormous amount of network traffic, so it might be worth checking with `top` to see if you have any other code eating a lot of CPU time.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pi Hole heat problems.

by keli on Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:37 pm

Changed the Pi Hole case to one open on the sides, added heatsinks, and a mini fan that took the temp from the original plastic case from 142° to 93.2°, that's a 48.8° difference. K
keli

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.