Simple, multiple sound player.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Simple, multiple sound player.

by Argyle on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:29 pm

I bought my brother-in-law a funny little talking bobblehead for his upcoming birthday. Pretty simple, there's a little button on it that, when pressed, plays a sound from this particular movie. Pressed again, it plays another, and so on until it loops back to the first. I'd like to customize it to add extra sounds, but the internals are basically just an OTP chip, a resistor, a diode and a speaker, so I guess this is another way of saying "I'd like to customize it by making a new board that does the same thing." :)

I've looked into it, and the easiest option would seem to be to use a chipcorder, but I think the looping feature would require a microcontroller, too. It also looks like chipcorder programmers are really hard to come by. I'd buy one if there were a reasonably-priced not-targetted-to-mass-production model available, but I just can't find it. Does anyone have any advice? Is there a similar chip that can do this kind of thing without a microcontroller? Does someone know of an easy, reasonably-priced way to program chipcorders without making a board and putting them into record mode?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Argyle

Re: Simple, multiple sound player.

by pm6041141 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:59 am

Is this of any use to you? http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=9579

Also these are too cheap not to purchase. I bought 10. http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... DER/1.html
pm6041141

Re: Simple, multiple sound player.

by Argyle on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Indeed, that's almost exactly what I ended up doing. I bought an ISD1700 series chip, which is very similar. Unfortunately, a microcontrollers is necessary even to do something as simple as cycle through the sounds (much less randomize them as I'm planning on doing), so I've got an Atmel doing that through SPI... well, almost. I still need to breadboard a circuit to record the sounds. The chipcorders would really be much nicer chips for hobby work if they made them easier to program directly, but, alas, you need a special board and software.
For verily, Abba Zabba, thou art mine only companion...
Argyle

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.