Please Help, Will Pay, Trying To Get A Joystick To Work.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Please Help, Will Pay, Trying To Get A Joystick To Work.

by 1handedgamer on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:58 am

Hello,

I am brand new here, and inexperienced with arduinos and pcbs. I did buy an uno starter kit and I have several 10k pot joysticks. (ones with the 5 pins on them, the adafruit blue board and 10k pot you solder on, the adafruit 2 axis one, and some ps4/xbox 1 10k pot replacements.

I am a 1 handed gamer. I love rocket league because i can compete very high with 1 hand. However my controller is from 2008 and was made for only a year. I've had problems for long time now with joystick drift, no input, and more. I replaced all the wiring in the controller. I have also found new pads from another controller because the ones in my button pods had all ripped. The plastic on buttons and housing have also worn down causing buttons to get stuck and not pop back up, as well as joystick to work its way loose and screw up inputs. The controller is modular and has little pods with wafer connectors on them.

It is a fully moddable controller according to ben heck here. https://www.benheck.com/how-to-mod-my-a ... ontroller/

I wish I could get someone just to build me a flat basic controller with joystick, some tact switches and a 3.5mm ports that allows foot pedals to be ran through controller and act as an input.

But for now I have been trying for 6 months to replace the joysticks on my controller. I've also bought other 1 handed controllers but none work for me on this game.

Alright the controller's joystick pcb says the top of each axis pin is the signal pin (left x, left y or right x, right y) and the 2 other pins on each axis all go to the AD terminal. Then 1 point on the switch goes to (l3 or r3) and other pin on switch goes to ground.

1- I had a shop try to remove the joystick from the original pcb and put the adafruit pot that comes with the blue pcb on the original pcb. It did not work, i think he might of cut a trace, he did not remove the wafer plug first and another shop told me to hard to remove with the wafer plug there. (i have new wafer plugs). Assuming that pcb is ruined I have 2 left (left x, y, l3 inputs) and 1 right (right x, y, r3 inputs) pcbs left. They all show inputs in the x/y axis when stick is not pressed or don't go back to 0 or bounce around.

2- Next I tried to wire a new joystick to the main controller's pcb. Since it is modular basically any of the 6 spots on the controller can receive input from any button on a ps2 controller. There are 3 pcbs inside the controllers and they are connected to each other and one has the wifi 2.4ghz signal device on it as well as the power wires that come from the battery. I have put a picture of the 2 stack 16 pin wafer layout.

inside controller
https://twitter.com/FearTheNubTV/status ... 6892902400

At first I tried the 10k arduino joystick with the 5 pins on it and put 5v (v+ first then learned needed AD), the x out to left x (or right x) y out to left y, signal to r3 (because right under AD and the wires have the 2 short plugs on one end) and ground to ground. I would only get part of the axis to wok and it wasn't its full range.

3-Later I found the Adafruit pcb when I first wired it up I tried it exactly the same way as above. The positive side of each axis went to 1.0 almost instantly on (html5gamepad) viewer and the negative side gradually went up to -1.0

pic of adafruit pcb on controller
https://twitter.com/FearTheNubTV/status ... 2261896192

4- After realizing both pins on the stock pcb joystick go to AD. I tried jumping the vcc & ground trace on adafruit pcb to 1 plug connected to AD on controller. Tried it both with and without using the signal button for the tact switch. I got a gradual input on all axis positive and negative but only went up to 0.6 or -0.6. Next I cut the jump wire from ground and just had wire from vcc (to AD), x out to left x, and y out to left y. That one I got a gradual input to 1.0 on one side of axis and to only like 0.2 on other side of that axis.

5- Lastly I took the replacement 10k pots for a ps4/xbox 1 (much smaller than adafruit wouldn't even fit in any of the boards i have mount holes). I ran a test wire directly from the pin on the joystick. First I tried using each middle pin as the respective signal and jumping the 4 otherr pins (2 each side) to one plug connected to AD got nothing. So then I tried moving the signal pin to the same pin the signal pin is on the factory joystick pcb which was top pin and jump the 4 bottom pins (2 each axis) to AD and also got nothing.

I have lost hope. I don't know if what I am trying to do is possible, if the joystick need to be calibrated some how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a second one of these controllers along with several other various controllers with different pcbs inside some wired some wireless.

I would like to one day have a flat controller similar to this one with buttons laid out as if my hand was flat, wired with usb or a usb plug and i connect a usb to it, 2 joysticks one at my thumb and one at my pinky, and ports to connect 2-3 auxiliary switches. I would love to have a custom foot pedal with an analog (l2 & r2) switch on front (toe) and on back (heel) and a raised area in middle that my foot rests on and rocks up or down to hit the l2/r2 input of today's gaming controllers. My current controller is based off a ps2 controller so its just a momentary button for l2 & r2.

I have got tons of tact switches, buttons, foot pedals, and various shapes and designs of gaming pcbs. My hope one day to get a custom one built like that. For now just want working joystick on current controller.

Thank you so much for any input or help. I am on AZ border smaller town, vegas is closet big city.
Attachments
pot_1.jpg
pot_1.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 83 times
pot_2.jpg
pot_2.jpg (46.25 KiB) Viewed 83 times
access_hack_7.jpg
access_hack_7.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 83 times

1handedgamer

Re: Please Help, Will Pay, Trying To Get A Joystick To Work.

by 1handedgamer on Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:00 am

pics
Attachments
buttn.jpg
buttn.jpg (30.54 KiB) Viewed 82 times
access.jpg
access.jpg (23.23 KiB) Viewed 82 times

1handedgamer

by franklin97355 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:04 am

You can post a job request in the jobs board if you want.

franklin97355

by 1handedgamer on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:23 pm

franklin97355 wrote:You can post a job request in the jobs board if you want.

i look at it but didnt quite understand how to do it.. seemed i needed a company and other stuff..

i watched some youtube videos of arduino controllers they alll showed writing code for a game..

can i just set up tact switches and joystick and make it act as a normal controller, just need several momentary buttons, a 10k joystick readout and 2 analog button readouts

1handedgamer

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.