Probably broken HyperPixel 4.0
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Probably broken HyperPixel 4.0

by FactoryFactory on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:39 am

Hey, support forum, I'm having problems with a HyperPixel 4.0 non-touch display I ordered in October but only got around to trying now.

A picture's worth a thousand words, so here's the problem:

Backlight on, black display.

Raspbian default welcome desktop. The red lines along the bottom part and the little circle are part of the protective plastic I haven't even taken off.

Connected to a Raspberry Pi 3A+ using the extension header.

Navigated via VNC to show what light images look like in the error areas. My phone couldn't focus properly this time, sorry.

What the above is supposed to be in VNC, plus an icon for the screenshot itself.

To sum up: Big area that doesn't work at all punctuated by colored horizontal lines that flicker in and out if I bring my finger near the ribbon cable. Scrambled signal and black vertical lines on the left that shimmer and mix up info from further right on the display. In the part of the display that "works," text is not as clear as text displayed through VNC on my desktop monitor.

Behavior on a 3B is substantially similar, with different patterns of weirdness. It also informed me that the scrambled left side of the screen has... Burn in? It still shows the attempt at a file manager window, very vividly and clearly, even though it had a power cycle and was moved to another Pi entirely.

Here's how I handled it:

Upon receipt: Unpacked the box, looked at the screen. Repacked it and placed it on shelf.
Thereafter through 2/14/18: Remained on shelf.
2/15: Test fit on Pi3A+ unpowered, determined I needed the extension header, removed screen (it was very tough to do) and installed header. Left unattached.

I set up the screen software using Pimoroni's install script after doing a full apt update, firmware update, etc. Shut down, removed power, placed screen on headers. Results were immediately what was seen above.

I really tried to treat this thing gently, but if I'm honest with myself, this might be physical damage. It was very difficult to remove this board from the Pi after my test-fit and when it came free, it came free suddenly and I gripped it reflexively so it wouldn't fly away. I read all the warnings and tried to take the utmost care, and I've handled displays like PiTFTs much more roughly without any problems, but this one just... doesn't work. And since that happened before I powered it up, I can't be sure it ever worked.

I've had impact-broken displays that still partly worked before, and the scrambled intermix of actual frame and "memory effect" frame are really confusing to me because that is not something I've ever seen before. Maybe this wasn't an impact, or at least the display was malfunctioning already before it absorbed an impact? But then, those screens were different panel and controller types than this display, so I don't know if my past experience gives me insight here.

And even if it was all impact, I still feel a bit stung from a product design standpoint, because it was *so hard* to remove the screen gently from the Pi. The force needed to budge it from the pins (and to remove the extension header from the screen) is crazy, and I can easily see someone flinging it across the room while trying to remove it.

Order Number : #1876997-526024524

FactoryFactory

Re: Probably broken HyperPixel 4.0

by franklin97355 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:53 am

I'm sorry you are having this problem but our warranty is 30 days and that is why we recommend testing everything you get as soon as it arrives.

franklin97355

by FactoryFactory on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:55 am

Yeah, fair. The support e-mail suggested I post anyway, that's all.

FactoryFactory

by FactoryFactory on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 am

Well, if it's already broken, might as well break it some more.

I unmounted the screen and poked it around the failed spot to see if there was some stuck liquid crystal. Miracle of miracles, some of the damaged area started showing proper display! And then it started heating up incredibly and failed completely.

So, it seems that the carrier board is just fine. Does anyone know where I can get a compatible replacement panel? 45-pin RGB interface, 800x480, etc.

FactoryFactory

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.