WebServer range

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
drummerboyx

WebServer range

Post by drummerboyx »

Hello,
I tried to connect to my WebServer that controls lights, ect. in my house. However, when I typed the IP address in my browser in CA (the arduino is in NY), it didn't work. It says unable to connect.

Any ideas?

Elijah

Franklin97355

Re: WebServer range

Post by Franklin97355 »

Your ISP changed you IP. Or your router was not configured correctly. Or your device is not powered on. Or a firewall blocked traffic. Test it and let us know what you found.

drummerboyx

Post by drummerboyx »

If my ISP changed, how would I know what the new ip was? I tried all the other options.

Thanks,
Elijah

Entropy

Post by Entropy »

drummerboyx wrote:If my ISP changed, how would I know what the new ip was? I tried all the other options.

Thanks,
Elijah
You won't unless you have some sort of dynamic DNS updater running on the other end.

drummerboyx

Post by drummerboyx »

How would I do that?

drummerboyx

Post by drummerboyx »

I just got an account with this company:
https://www.dyndns.com/

I get this error:
files.me.com/elijahwood/jdgo2q (just click on the link and the pic will download)

Also, I'm doing this in CA while my arduino web server is in NY. Is that why I'm getting this error?

Any ideas?

Elijah

chankster

Post by chankster »

First, anything that has a 192.168 prefix is internal use only. Second, :8080 is the port number and is not needed. You should just enter the current location's IP address unless you're setting this up for a different location.

Also, you'll probably need to add a port exception for 8080 and route it to the proper IP on your firewall.

drummerboyx

Post by drummerboyx »

Ok, so when I return and can program my arduino new code, can I put in another IP address without the 192.168 at the beginning? For example, 188.999 in the beginning?

Will I be able to access it from anywhere that has internet? Also, for another project I have the port be 8246. Would I need to put this in to make it work or should I just not put it in?

Thanks,
Elijah

chankster

Post by chankster »

Here's what happens with a normal residential network

The internet comes into your DSL/Cable modem/router. Your modem is assigned an IP address which looks like it was 173.209.28.2 in your case. Your router then assigns private address to all the devices inside your network which is the 192.168 addresses. To access your arduino from outside the network you'll need to forward the correct port to the correct IP. Adding a second arduino will just mean adding the new port to the new IP. Check out portforward.com to figure out how to forward ports.

drummerboyx

Post by drummerboyx »

Ok...I think I understand now...

Thanks!
Elijah

andresleon

Post by andresleon »

if you are able to connect to your server in NY from CA, then i will assume that your NY computer is able to connect to the internet.

you need to perform a few steps to get a web server going from your home:

1. install and configure a dynamic DNS account and client on the web server. This will update the dynamic DNS of your current ip address. you seem to have already done this or were in the process of doing it. (i use http://www.no-ip.com/)
2. install the web server on your computer (apache, IIS, etc)
3. configure your computer's firewall to allow connections to your server (if installing IIS, this is generally done when the server is installed)
4. if you use symantec, MacCaffe or other types of antivirus programs, you may need to tweak them to allow this traffic to work too.
4. configure your DSL/Cable modem router to allow TCP traffic on port 80 (or whatever port you want your web server to listen to) to your specific web server's internal ip address.

Once these steps have been completed you should be able to access your server from anywhere. just type the domain name you setup in the dynamic dns account.

hope this helps!

Andres

drummerboyx

Post by drummerboyx »

Thanks!
I just got a MEGA with this Ethernet shield:
http://www.nkcelectronics.com/nkc-ether ... y-kit.html

Now I'm running the same code as my duemilinove that worked perfectly. Here's the problem; it sends emails fine but for some wired reason I can't access the webserver from my home network. With the duemilinove I could access the webserver fine.

Any ideas?

Elijah

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Check your IP address and gateway.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”