📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

Another nixie clock
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Another nixie clock

by dlciii on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:43 pm

So for my bro's wedding gift I am building him a nixie clock (or at least that is the plan). I got the tubes and how been running over various projects others have completed. I have chosen not to re-invent the wheel and hope to figure out a way to stand on the shoulders of those that came before me.

I was trying to divide the adafruit ice tube clock pcb into two disk shapes because of space requirements for my design. I tried to divide the components down into two groups so that there are the fewest connection between the groups. I am going to have three hollow support tubes (about 0.25") connecting the housing of each board and the VFD tube (IV-18) held loose by one housing and supplied from the other.

clock.GIF
clock.GIF (4.23 KiB) Viewed 997 times

So that is the first question, does such a solution exist where I could separate a power supply board and a clock board?

If not, I guess the only solution would be one singular board. Which is fine and probably the simple choice, but again this makes the clock much wider.

Second question. I am mostly a mechanical person and not very good at using eagle. In order to form the pcb from the schematic into different shapes the program is reluctant and seems to want a registered version. Is there no way to create the circular dual pcbs in eagle with my version? Do I have to create the schematic differently than the one supplied with the ice tube clock? My understanding of the program was that the schematic was independent of the physical board.

I have produced a rough cad layout of the housing but really it is pointless since I have no idea how much space is going to be needed or if it is possible at all.

I am open suggestion, and yes it seems like a lot of effort. That was my point. I appreciate any honest support.
dlciii

Re: Another nixie clock

by bastard on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:11 pm

bastard

by chankster on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:09 pm

Also check this one out:
http://www.vonnieda.org/tc18
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?

chankster

by dlciii on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:32 am

The first one I have seen, that is not what I am talking about. But the second one is oddly exactly what I was talking about. That sucks. I guess I could just buy it. But that sort of killed my fire.

Thanks though.
dlciii

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.