Any way to extend TPL5110 off cycle?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Any way to extend TPL5110 off cycle?

by xlioilx on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:43 pm

I want to use this breakout tpl5110 to power on and off lights at the same time intervals, like 30min on and then 30 min off, cycling forever after triggered from the button maybe. That was the initial idea at least.

So far I can't get that out of the device. Maybe I misread or misunderstood when getting this product. I thought this would do that but all it does is turn my 3.5v LED to only go off cycle momentarily which is great to make a cool strobe light but I need something different for my application.

Can anyone help or give me suggestions how to accomplish this? I do know you have to power down the unit after adjusting the little dial on it for it to to take effect. As long as the time intervals are the same, or a way I can add something to slow down the device from flashing once for only 500ms.. I don't want to use any other hardware to do this low low power job if possible..

I was thinking I might have a work around hooking two TPL5110 modules and have one turn one on and off at a longer time interval. I don't really know what voltage I use to trigger that though. does any of this sound possible? Thanks!

xlioilx

Re: Any way to extend TPL5110 off cycle?

by xlioilx on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:02 am

I'm not an electronics pro but this sounded like maybe something to do it but I still don't know seems like there are a few ways to slow down the switching of the MOSFET tell me what you think if it is useful. Thanks!

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... f-a-mosfet

xlioilx

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:06 am

The TPL5110 can do delays up to about 2 hours, but changing the delay is a bit tricky.

The chip measures the resistance connected to its DELAY pin in the first 100ms after it's connected to power, then converts that pin to a high-impedance input so it doesn't waste current through the resistor after that. Changing the DELAY resistance has no effect until you disconnect power and reconnect it.

For a 30-minute delay, you'll want about 92k of DELAY resistance. Disconnect power, adjust the onboard pot to about that value, then reconnect power and see how it goes.

xlioilx wrote:seems like there are a few ways to slow down the switching of the MOSFET tell me what you think if it is useful

In this case, not at all. The mosfet controls power to the load, but is controlled by the TPL5110. Changing the mosfet's on/off timing wouldn't have any effect on the length of the counting period.

adafruit_support_mike

by xlioilx on Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:23 am

Thank you for your reply. I decided to just run my application as a strobe to reduce heat on the LED also one second on and one second off is a 50% increase in power at best. So if it ran for 2 hours total now it will optimistically run for 4hr. These seem to work pretty good out of the box for that without modification I'll be buying more of these in the future after I run out of what I already bought Thanks! Hopefully this isn't a limited time product. =D Have a nice day!

xlioilx

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:55 am

No, we plan to keep them in stock indefinitely. Low-power timed applications are fairly common.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.