Does the Powerboost 1000c have reverse-polarity protection?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Does the Powerboost 1000c have reverse-polarity protection?

by chiz on Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi Support Team,

Saw magic smoke on my project after I put a LiPo pack in reverse polarity. I was not able to pinpoint where the smoke came from and wondering if it's worth just replacing the PowerBoost 1000C and should be able to get everything working again. Or I'll have to troubleshoot, which unfortunately don't have much time at the moment.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

chiz

Re: Does the Powerboost 1000c have reverse-polarity protecti

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:30 pm

Reverse polarity circuitry would interfere with the charge level sensing in the charge controller. So the only protection is the keying on the JST connector.

Unfortunately, one large electronics manufacturer decided to design products using the same connectors, but opposite polarity to all the other large electronics manufacturers, so there are a lot of reverse wired LiPo cells out there. If you are purchasing cells elsewhere - double check before plugging in. (it is easy enough to swap the wires in the connector if you get one wired that way)

adafruit_support_bill

by chiz on Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks Bill. Judging from your response, it appears the RPi, LCD controller board and all other components of my project may also been damaged?

chiz

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Not necessarily. Feeding reverse voltage into the board would likely kill the charge controller and possibly the boost converter chip. It is not clear that it would have generated any significant reverse voltage at the output of the boost circuit. I'd test out the devices plugged into the PowerBoost individually. My guess is that they are still functional.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.