7 Adaruit Jewels over 150ft of outdoor cable
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

7 Adaruit Jewels over 150ft of outdoor cable

by Gameaddict77 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pm

Hello All,

I'm working a project to retrofit led garden lights (7 of them) with addressable neopixels. I have the a couple led lights already retrofitted and the control works (from a cheap amazon controller) with about 5ft of cable between them. Now onto the placement of the controller, turns out after measuring today, the farthest 3 Jewel leds are about 150ft from where I was planning to mount controller (for wifi range - and yes my controllers connect to home wifi and not act as a local ap - my choosing). Im using direct burial cl3 18/4 wire that is stranded. My concern is the data line to the leds being 150ft away. Power lines I already have a solution for voltage drop over that distance and am not concerned over that

Does anyone know if this will work and if not what I can do to correct it? Is there frequency repeaters?

Also does the adafruit jewels use PWM for controlling?

my controller i think im going to use is a pixelblaze (waiting for delivery)
https://www.bhencke.com/pixelblaze

Many thanks in advance. I have no issue soldering just prefer to not use ardrinos (my past experience with them is frustrating)

Gameaddict77

Re: 7 Adaruit Jewels over 150ft of outdoor cable

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:44 am

Diatance from the microcontroller isn't an issue for NeoPixels because each pixel acts as a signal buffer for the rest of the strip beyond it.

The only distance that matters is the longest distance between any two pixels, which can be up to 10' IIRC. If you need a longer run, you can put a dummy pixel in the middle of the span and send it zero color values so its LEDs never turn on. It will still receive and forward data for the rest of the strip.

adafruit_support_mike

by Gameaddict77 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:54 am

Hello Mike,

That is incredibly helpful info. Thank you for that. I have some rgbw sk6812b neopixels laying around. Can I use those for relays on a rgb adafruit jewels as I do have a run of more then 10ft. Or does it have to be a rgb for rgb and rgbw for rgbw? These dummy pixels won't be seen

Many thx,
Steve

Gameaddict77

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:56 am

You'll need to use RGB with RGB or RGBW with RGBW. The NeoPixels aren't smart enough to translate between 3-color and 4-color control signals on their own.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.