Powerboost 1000c & Inductive Charging
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Powerboost 1000c & Inductive Charging

by gregpronko on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:40 pm

I have a technical sales question. We are using a Powerboost 1000c to run a RPI device at 5volts. I am plugging in your 6600mAh battery pack to run the device and currently am charging it all with a powered USB connection to the 1000c. However we now want to enclose the whole device in a waterproof housing and use one of the two inductive chargers you sell. We currently have the 3.2volt version of the inductive charger. So my first question would be is this ok to use OR do I need to use the 5v version in my project given that its a RPi? Second question would be trying to figure out which pins I would wire the inductive charger into. Looking at the 1000c pinout page it is not clear where you would put the 5v wire from the inductor??? Would this go to USB pin? Or the BAT pin? Third Question would have to do with a deeper description of the difference between VS vs 5V out to the RPi.... which should I use to power the RPi? They both seem to work.

Thanks,

Greg

gregpronko

Re: Powerboost 1000c & Inductive Charging

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:20 pm

Will the inductive charger be used on the input side or the output side of the PowerBoost? In any case, you would need the 5v version, since both the PowerBoost and the Pi require 5v.

Please note that the inductive chargers are only designed for 500mA max output. And, since it is only about 40% efficient, if using it on the output of the PowerBoost, the maximum continuous output would be more like 400mA.

adafruit_support_bill

by gregpronko on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:06 pm

Thanks for the info on this. We will order a 5v version. As for where we are using the inductive coils I should have been more clear. I would like to first create a base charging station that uses a 12v wall wort with the powered coil in the base station. (That base station would be like the base of an electric tooth brush stand.) Then the RPi will be inside a waterproof tube along with the other coil, the battery and the 1000c. The red and black wires from that coil would then need to go into the 1000c in a way that it is providing power to charge the battery. It will not be required to run the RPi but just charge the battery. We would only operate the device once lifted from the base station. Although if we figure out that our system can also run at 400mA then we would like it to do both.... trickle charge the battery as well as run the RPi. BUt the bare requirement is to just trickle charge the battery much like you would a toothbrush. Pick it up to turn it on and brush your teeth, otherwise it is off and trickle charging.

Based on that information can you tell me what pin I would solder the Red wire to from the Induction coil to the 1000c.

Thanks so much,

Greg

gregpronko

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:11 pm

That sounds like a workable configuration. You can solder the red wire from the inductive charger to the USB pin which is the input power to the PowerBoost.

adafruit_support_bill

by dbj1906 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Bill - quick question on this; the documentation for the Powerboost 1000C states the following
Just be aware that the charge rate is 1000mA max, and there's some inefficiency during the boosting stage, so make super sure that the USB adapter you're using to charge with is high quality, can supply 2A and has thick power wires.

Given that, can the Powerboost operate with a 5V 500mA inductive coil (receiver)?

For background:
I'm interested in building an led and Raspberry Pi project that is powered by inductive coil unless removed from its power base, in which case the battery would kick in to power the device. The devices needs to be able to rotate 360 degrees - hence the need for inductive charging versus a plugged in USB

I was concerned about the 2A requirement, but based on your earlier comments.... maybe this'll work at 400-500 mA (assuming some inefficiency due to the wireless transfer)

For clarity; here is a quick and dirty diagram of what I'm trying to do:

quick_sketch.jpg
quick_sketch.jpg (95.25 KiB) Viewed 75 times

Thoughts?

dbj1906

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:24 pm

You need to determine the power requirements of your Pi and LED strip. Pi current requirements vary depending on the model and what it is doing. LED strips of any size are pretty power hungry too. If those require more than the 500mA the coils can deliver, you will be running them from the battery

adafruit_support_bill

by dbj1906 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Got it... if my requirements are ~300mA, then I would be running from the wireless charging unit, UNLESS I removed the transmitter/receiver coil apart - then I'd auto switch over to the battery, correct?

dbj1906

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm

More-or-less - depending on the charge state of the battery.

If the battery is fully charged, then the charge controller will divert current from the inductive coils directly to the load via the boost circuit. Since it is already at 5v, the boost circuit doesn't need to so any work.

Otherwise, the charge controller will direct current toward the battery. And the battery will feed the boost circuit. This is somewhat less efficient since the incoming power is regulated down to 4.2v for the battery and has to be boosted back up to 5v.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.