📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

Soldering batteries?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Soldering batteries?

by kyle_s on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Is it ok to solder wires directly to a battery? I've got a battery holder that's just a little too large for the battery I have (a27) to work. I haven't had any luck shimming it up, since the negative end of the battery is recessed slightly, but I don't want to give up on using it, since I'm already out the money for it (OK it was cheap, but then again, so am I!).

--Kyle

kyle_s

Re: Soldering batteries?

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 am

It is possible - if you have some flux and a powerful enough soldering iron. The trick is to get the end hot enough to melt the solder without overheating the inside of the cell and damaging it.

When manufacturing battery packs, they use a tack-welder.

adafruit_support_bill

by Entropy on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:26 am

arduwino wrote:It is possible - if you have some flux and a powerful enough soldering iron. The trick is to get the end hot enough to melt the solder without overheating the inside of the cell and damaging it.

When manufacturing battery packs, they use a tack-welder.

I think I've seen DIY techniques for tack-welding battery packs somewhere.

You can also usually buy batteries with solder tabs.

It sounds like this is some sort of custom size battery? What chemistry? If Li-Ion - DON'T MESS WITH IT. Figure out a way to make a custom holder.
Entropy

by charliex on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm

If you're in the USA, Batteries Plus will cold tack tabs for you for a few bucks. But make sure you get them to tell you the whole price, because they'll change it as they're doing it. I've taken in batteries a few times for this there.
http://032.la - Null Space Labs.
charliex

by kyle_s on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:59 pm

Humm. Well, it's an alkaline battery, not li-ion. Dunno if that makes it "safe" to do.

Anyway I don't have a tack-welder, or any tools fancier than a cheap soldering iron, so maybe I just need to forget the idea of soldering it.

27a isn't really a custom size, as much as an old size. I guess it was phased out for the 23a batteries, which are similar, but thicker. Online I'm seeing them for $0.70 a piece (a fraction of what I paid for this one), so I really should stop complaining and order those :)

kyle_s

by zener on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:19 pm

I have soldered coin cells. I don't recommend it but I was in a jam. Actually i was surprised it worked. As was said, you have to get it hot enough in the first place to solder at all. But then did you damage the battery? But you could try. Then you will know if it works!

zener

by Entropy on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:22 am

um, why would you be soldering a nonrechargeable battery?
Entropy

by pm6041141 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:14 pm

The trick here is pretty much the same with all soldering; get in and get out. Use a high wattage soldering iron, big enough tip on it and wear safety goggles in case. Maybe I should have said "appropriate' wattage and tip.
pm6041141

by kyle_s on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:46 am

Entropy wrote:um, why would you be soldering a nonrechargeable battery?

Because you have the battery, and don't feel like waiting for ones that fit your battery holder to be shipped (or are too cheap to buy the batteries retail).

I may just try it, if I get impatient. Besides, I can always solder it in parallel with an empty battery holder, and just clip off the soldered battery once it dies.

kyle_s

by johngineer on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:26 am

Of course it's possible, though perhaps not advisable.

If you're going to do such a thing, I'd suggest you rough up the battery terminal with 60-grit sandpaper or something, to give it a 'tooth'. The solder needs something to grab on to.

I'd like to add that this is the dumbest idea ever, and I would never personally do it unless I was in a MacGyver-esque situation.
Adafruit Director of Imaging
Member of Technical Staff
Poles up, zeroes down.
johngineer

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.