couple of projects i would like to start
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

couple of projects i would like to start

by Duke2zi1108 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:11 pm

Greetings,
I have a couple of projects I am begining and would like some advice.

Project 1: building a wireless RSS reader. Lots and lots of RSS projects out there, but can't find a peep on one that downloads the RSS wirelessly. I hate to buy a wifi shield and find out you can't hook up a LCD to it.

Project 2: Building a "Lightining machine". I would like to controll a series of lights in sync with a thunder sound track. I think the arduino could handle this, but not sure. Wondering if the Wave Shield could be an option. What sort of problems will I run into trying to control high powered lights with this board?
Would relays be the way to go?
Thanks,
Duke2zi1108

Re: couple of projects i would like to start

by johngineer on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:22 pm

Duke2zi1108 wrote:Greetings,
I have a couple of projects I am begining and would like some advice.

Project 1: building a wireless RSS reader. Lots and lots of RSS projects out there, but can't find a peep on one that downloads the RSS wirelessly. I hate to buy a wifi shield and find out you can't hook up a LCD to it.

You don't need to hook up the LCD to the wifi shield. It goes like this: wifi shield --> Arduino --> LCD

The Arduino is the brain here. It interprets the output of the shield and then outputs to the LCD. If you can hook up a wifi shield to an Arduino, and you can hook up an LCD to an Arduino, then it's just a matter of writing the proper program. Though if I were you I'd make life easy and use a serial-enabled LCD, rather than sacrificing pins to a parallel interface.

Duke2zi1108 wrote:Project 2: Building a "Lightining machine". I would like to controll a series of lights in sync with a thunder sound track. I think the arduino could handle this, but not sure. Wondering if the Wave Shield could be an option. What sort of problems will I run into trying to control high powered lights with this board?
Would relays be the way to go?
Thanks,

When you say "high powered lights" do you mean hi-watt incandescents or strobe-type lights (xenon tubes)? Ultimately you can control both with SCRs, but there's all sorts of other support circuitry involved beyond just switching, particularly for xenon strobes, which require high voltage step-up, a quenching circuit, and a reservoir capacitor.
Adafruit Director of Imaging
Member of Technical Staff
Poles up, zeroes down.
johngineer

by Duke2zi1108 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks for the fast response.
Concerning the wifi build. Got a email for one of the techs and he said that I would only have a couple of pins free after the shield was installed on the arduino.

Concerning the lighting project, yeah I want to have some strobes connected along with flood lights, and regular lights.
I would like for the whole thing to react to the level of sound input. The louder the sound the brighter the lights flash.
If it was possible, it would be nice to have this broke out into different channels.
You may have seen the lighting boxes for halloween haunts.
Duke2zi1108

by johngineer on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Duke2zi1108 wrote:Thanks for the fast response.
Concerning the wifi build. Got a email for one of the techs and he said that I would only have a couple of pins free after the shield was installed on the arduino.

well, then you're probably going to have to use a serial-enabled LCD. you can serial from nearly all the pins on the Arduino and you only need one, since you're only doing tx.

Duke2zi1108 wrote:Concerning the lighting project, yeah I want to have some strobes connected along with flood lights, and regular lights.
I would like for the whole thing to react to the level of sound input. The louder the sound the brighter the lights flash.
If it was possible, it would be nice to have this broke out into different channels.
You may have seen the lighting boxes for halloween haunts.

well the regular lights you can flash with SCRs (or relays, if you prefer).

as i said, the strobes are more involved and require high voltages (on the order of 10-15kV at the tube itself). still, you'll find there is plenty of info out there about these circuits.

1st and 2nd results on a google search for "xenon strobe circuit":

http://members.misty.com/don/donflash.html
http://www.discovercircuits.com/XYZ/xenon.htm
Adafruit Director of Imaging
Member of Technical Staff
Poles up, zeroes down.
johngineer

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.