📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

X10 arduino help
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: X10 arduino help

by johngineer on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:16 pm

franklin97355 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "communicate". You will be able to send and probably receive X10 commands but I think that will be all. You should also look into xbee and using an X10 appliance module as alternatives.

I'm with Franklin. X10 is nice and all, but you'd have a lot more freedom with something like an Xbee network. You'd have more range for the system as a whole and you wouldn't need to be tied to an outlet. For example, with Xbee your home automation can feed your fish, but you could also add modules to tell you the moisture levels of soil in the garden and sense when someone pulls into the driveway. Plus, there are a LOT more project examples to draw from with an Xbee+Arduino combination.

I would suggest you seriously consider an Xbee system before you move forward.
Adafruit Director of Imaging
Member of Technical Staff
Poles up, zeroes down.
johngineer

by drummerboyx on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Ok, thanks for the info...I'll defiantly check out the xbee for my home automation system!
drummerboyx

by johngineer on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:16 pm

drummerboyx wrote:Ok, thanks for the info...I'll defiantly check out the xbee for my home automation system!

Good idea. I think you'll find it worthwhile. And once you're down with Xbee, there's all kinds of crazy things you can do.
Adafruit Director of Imaging
Member of Technical Staff
Poles up, zeroes down.
johngineer

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.