Have I received a dud?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Have I received a dud?

by Pgordon on Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:10 am

I recently purchased an audio FX sound board, and I seem unable to connect it to USB to copy audio files to it.

I've tried 2 computers; 1 desktop, 1 laptop, both running Windows 10, and at least 4 different micro USB cables. In no cases does the board show up as a USB device.

On the desktop, when I connect it, using any of the selection of cables I have, I get an error after a few seconds: "USB Controller resources Exceeded. The controller does not have enough resources for this device"

On the laptop, on the first connection, I saw it do the usual new USB device detected routine, and eventually said it had completed setup of a device called VS1000B. There was however, no new drive in explorer, so I checked the disk management MMC & it does not show up there as a drive. I also checked the device manager; I can see an audio device appear & disappear as I plug it in & out - it shows up as "Speakers (VS1000B)" in the Audio inputs and outputs node, and I also see a "USB Composite device" item appear & disappear under the "universal Serial Bus Controllers" node, so it certainly seems like it IS talking to the host machine...

I also see the exact same behaviour in device manager on the desktop PC, but with the addition of the popup error dialog.

I noticed the troubleshooting page https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-audio-fx-sound-board/troubleshooting states the green LED should be on to show power (it is), but also states the red LED should not be on - however in every test case, as soon as I connect the board to USB, both LED's immediately come on & stay on.

I hear no beep from the board through the headphone port when it is connected to USB.

I'm not sure what else I can try - apart from yet more USB cables/host machines, and I've no good reason to believe that this will yield any different outcome...

Does this sound like it's a dead board?

TIA

Paul G.

Pgordon

Re: Have I received a dud?

by Pgordon on Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:32 am

Further troubleshooting info... I powered the board from a USB powerbank, so definitely power only, no USB data...

Both LEDs are still illuminated permanently.

I tried shorting pin 0 & GND - no change in LED status and nothing played via the headphone out....

I tried shorting GND & RST to do a reset.. ACT flashed off briefly then returned to on, thereafter no change in the described behaviour.

Just for good measure, I tried shorting all 11 trigger pins - no audio heard via the output, and no activity on the ACT LED...

Cheers

Paul G.

Pgordon

by Pgordon on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:44 pm

So I just spent a few hours trawling through this board looking for instances of the same issue as I'm seeing, and depressingly:
1: It seems really rather common
2: It seems to have no fix other than replace the board

Fortunately I'd not wasted any time soldering on the pin headers yet, because it looks/sounds like I need to have it replaced...

Also as further information, I've observed that when connected to a PC (any Windows 10 PC) via USB, it shows up as my default audio playback device - seems like its not correctly identifying as a removable storage device, but rather is identified as a USB Audio device...

I purchased it through Amazon several months ago, - only now has my project reached the stage where I've been ready to try to use it...

@support - how do I arrange replacement? - directly with yourselves, or via Amazon?

Cheers

Paul G.

Pgordon

by Pgordon on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:54 pm

And as SWMBO finished work for the day, I had an opportunity to try it on yet another PC - also Windows 10, and I got the exact same behaviour:
when plugged in, I heard the "plink-plonk-plink" USB connected sound, and saw a couple of toasts saying a new device was being configured, the 2nd & last being a success notification that the device is ready for use.
No new removable storage drive mounted
VS1000B now listed as my default audio device in Windows sounds control panel
2 new devices in device manager, - a composite USB device and a Speakers device

I think that's pretty consistent...

Paul G.

Pgordon

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Sounds like it might be programmed wrong or something. Let's just replace it. Send an email to support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement Sound FX Board.

adafruit_support_carter

by kingpop on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Perhaps there was a bad batch? I’m having the exact same issue with a board that just arrived.

kingpop

by kingpop on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:03 am

Pgordon wrote:And as SWMBO finished work for the day, I had an opportunity to try it on yet another PC - also Windows 10, and I got the exact same behaviour:
when plugged in, I heard the "plink-plonk-plink" USB connected sound, and saw a couple of toasts saying a new device was being configured, the 2nd & last being a success notification that the device is ready for use.
No new removable storage drive mounted
VS1000B now listed as my default audio device in Windows sounds control panel
2 new devices in device manager, - a composite USB device and a Speakers device

I think that's pretty consistent...

Paul G.

Having the exact same issues. Did you find a resolution?

kingpop

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:04 pm

@kingpop Please start a new thread for your issue.

adafruit_support_carter

by kingpop on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:44 pm

Seriously? <sigh>

kingpop

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:18 am

Yes, seriously.

Trying to debug more than one set of hardware in a thread is just asking for confusion.

adafruit_support_mike

by Pgordon on Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 am

kingpop wrote:
Having the exact same issues. Did you find a resolution?

Yes, I received a replacement board... turned out to be the smaller model, so not an exact like for like replacement, but I'm not bothered enough about the difference to haggle, it will still "do" for my project... :-)

P.

Pgordon

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:15 pm

@Pgordon Sorry that happened. You can email support again if you want and let them know they replaced with a different product than the original. Maybe there was a reason? But not sure. But if you're OK with what you already have, that's also fine. Your call.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.