Sound board with 3x4 keypad. Is extra board needed?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Sound board with 3x4 keypad. Is extra board needed?

by danawicks on Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Trying to STUFF the UNO and Soundboard into a project box, I noticed the RST pin header was loose on the Soundboard, so I re-soldered it. NOW, the green light will show it is receiving power, but the soundboard it no longer works. When I disconnect all the pins and plug a mini-usb from the soundboard into the computer, it no longer shows as an external drive. Does this sound like I have 'shorted out' the soundbord? Is there anything I can do to reset it? (I read there is a PB power button pin location.) ,,,, Or do I just need to go ahead and order a new one?

thanks.

danawicks

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:43 pm

If you knocked the RST pin loose, it is possible that you had other marginal connections that were affected as well. If you post some photos showing all your soldering and connections, we can take a look and see if we can spot any other problem areas.

adafruit_support_bill

by danawicks on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:19 pm

I hate to add pictures because it shows what a crappy soldering job I did. (This is my first project.) The green light on the sound board will light up with power, but it doesn't play sound, and it does not register as an external drive when connected to the computer by usb.
Attachments
cl_20190714_175028.jpg
cl_20190714_175028.jpg (221.98 KiB) Viewed 178 times
cl_20190714_175545.jpg
cl_20190714_175545.jpg (129.5 KiB) Viewed 178 times
cl_20190714_180653.jpg
cl_20190714_180653.jpg (129.11 KiB) Viewed 178 times

danawicks

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:50 am

There are a few suspect joints there. Mostly on the left side of the second photo. On several of those joints, the solder has not flowed well onto the solder pad. This guide has some tips on identifying and fixing common soldering issues: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... n-problems

adafruit_support_bill

by danawicks on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:58 pm

2341-04.jpg
2341-04.jpg (268.1 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Ok, I've managed to 'short out' 2 soundboards. (They will show green light when connected by usb to the computer, but do not display as an external drive.) The product # 2220 was out of stock, so I ordered product number # 2341. This soundboard only has triggers for 8 files, and it does not have the 3mm audio out plug. I can't figure out how to connect a speaker to the 'Stereo Out' edge of the board. I see the 'gold dot'to the left of the stereo out verbiage. Do I solder wires to this dot? I'll probably reorder the # 2220 because I see now that it is in stock. I've attached a photo of the # 2341.

danawicks

by danawicks on Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:16 pm

OR, do these R and L sections refer to Right and Left CHANNELs of Stereo, and I can can simply connect either the R or the L and a ground for Mono?
Attachments
2341-with R L channels marked.pg.jpg
2341-with R L channels marked.pg.jpg (422.45 KiB) Viewed 131 times

danawicks

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:04 am

Audio outputs for that board are described in the pinouts section of the documentation.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... tputs-3-11

The #2341 board does not have a built-in amplifier, so it will not drive speakers directly. The line-level outputs are on the R, L and GND pins as shown below. For mono, you can connect just R or L.

adafruit_support_bill

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:04 am

Audio outputs for that board are described in the pinouts section of the documentation.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... tputs-3-11

The #2341 board does not have a built-in amplifier, so it will not drive speakers directly. The line-level outputs are on the R, L and GND pins as shown below. For mono, you can connect just R or L.

adafruit_support_bill

by danawicks on Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:18 pm

Does Adafruit ever diagnose damaged PCB boards? Can I return these? Not so much for a refund but rather for an analysis?

I have managed to render un-usable 4 different soundboards. I thought at first that it was due to overheating with a solder gun. But, today, I was connecting the UNO, and the soundboard, with a power supply and amplifier, and the soundboard just quits working. It's green light will come on, but it no longer works as intended, and does not show up as an external hard drive when connected by USB to my computer.

Here is my setup:
I connected the UNO to a 12 volt power supply using a center + wire;
I connected the soundboard to the same power supply but through a 12v - 5v stepdown converter;
The power supply is a Pyramid PS9KX 12 volt power supply;
I connected the 3.5tmm headphone audio out to a Pyle PLMPA35 autiod amplifier;
The amplifier is connected to 8 ohm speaker.
I want to put the pcb boards into an Altoids cans. The picture shows I've insulated the pcb with a thin foam sheet.

Pics are attached.
1 - resize_2-Uno-SB-Keypad-HookedUp.jpg
1 - resize_2-Uno-SB-Keypad-HookedUp.jpg (416.46 KiB) Viewed 83 times

3 - resize_Uno-SB-Keypad-HookedUp.jpg
3 - resize_Uno-SB-Keypad-HookedUp.jpg (331.7 KiB) Viewed 83 times

This arrangement WORKS, with the arduino code ..... until it quits working. ... grrrrrr.

What do you think?
Attachments
2 - resize_Uno-SB-in Altoids can.jpg
2 - resize_Uno-SB-in Altoids can.jpg (241.64 KiB) Viewed 83 times

danawicks

by danawicks on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:47 am

Can someone reply to my previous post?
thanks.

danawicks

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:22 am

In your photo, I don't see a ground connection between the sound board and the UNO. Without a common ground, there is no reference for the control signals.

adafruit_support_bill

by danawicks on Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Per the instructions provided with the soundboard, the UG pin on the SB is connected to one of the ground pins on the UNO.
Sorry for the poor photos. In each of the photos, the SB USB connection is oriented to the right, so the UG pin is the first pin of the 3 pins that are connected. The next 2 are RX & TX, respectively. It appears the UG connection is the blue wire, and that is plugged to UNO at the GND pin next to pin # 13. All of the pins on the UNO card are being used from 2 - 13, then the GND. The USB power wire and the UNO power wire are both grounded back to the - ground on the power supply.

danawicks

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:31 pm

the UG pin on the SB is connected to one of the ground pins on the UNO.

The UG pin is a UART/GPIO selector. It is not a ground connection for the sound board.

The USB power wire and the UNO power wire are both grounded back to the - ground on the power supply.

Power supplies and DC/DC converters often have floating outputs. So there may be no actual ground connection. Even if there is, power supply grounds do not make good signal references due to switching noise, ground bounce and other types of interference. Best to have a direct ground connection between the board.

adafruit_support_bill

by danawicks on Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Ok, I'm confused.
On this page: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... io-control ... under the General Usage section the first direction says:
"Connect UG to GND (to start the sound board in Uart mode)" ... If I don't connect the UG of the SB to the GND pin on the UNO, do I connect it to a GND of the SB? Do I ground it to itself, same way I would connect a TRIGGER pin to ground to make a sound, if not in UART?

I also don't understand this: You say, "Best to have a direct ground connection between the board." These are my power cords, that will come from the power supply in testing, or a car batter when installed in a car. If I shouldn't use the (-) post of the power supply as ground for my power cords, what should I use as ground, for the power cords? (Especially for testing before final installation.) Upon installation in a car, some power cords are grounded by attaching to the frame of the car, but often items are grounded with a connection that leads back to the negative post of the battery.

(thanks for your continued help, btw).

danawicks

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:58 pm

On this page: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-aud ... io-control ... under the General Usage section the first direction says:
"Connect UG to GND (to start the sound board in Uart mode)" ... If I don't connect the UG of the SB to the GND pin on the UNO, do I connect it to a GND of the SB?

Connect it to a GND pin as directed. That will put it in UART mode. But it does not replace a proper common ground connection between the UNO and the sound board. You need to also connect one of the GND pins on the sound board to one of the GND pins on the UNO to make sure that the UNO GND potential is the same as the sound board.

I also don't understand this: You say, "Best to have a direct ground connection between the board." . . .

In your circuit, the ground serves two purposes: It is a return path for current that powers the devices. It is also a reference voltage against which control signals are measured.

The problem is that power supply grounds do not make very stable signal references (and automotive electrical systems are even noisier than most). So in addition to your connections to the power supplies, you should have a direct GND<->GND connection between the two boards. This helps to ensure that the signals sent by the UNO are correctly interpreted by the sound board.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.