sound board not recognized USB device

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JRL

sound board not recognized USB device

Post by JRL »

Tried 2 different computers, 2 different cables - 16MB Sound board does not show up as a device. Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JL

JRL

Re: sound board not recognized USB device

Post by JRL »

Disregard - I was using charging cables only.

Got a data cable, works fine. Loaded a bunch of ogg files for testing.

Thanks!

JL

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Thanks for letting us know that's all it was. Those charge only cables are such a pain.

JRL

Post by JRL »

I'm an old man, and don't own a cell phone. I had no idea there was such a thing as "charging only" USB cables. I mean, why would they make such a thing? To save 2 cents on the data wire? I have to thank your tech forums - I read that somebody said "Hey old man, don't forget some of those cables are charge only!"

So the thing works great and it holds a ton of ogg files - I bought it to add triggered sound to my B9 Lost in Space Moebius model robot. Sound will be triggering by motion sensors...ie: when you walk by the robot he insults Dr Smith. I compiled a ton of these from my Lost in Space video collection, converted to ogg with a free program (Any video converter) - I'm just adding this for anyone struggling to do the same type thing. ) I used a free Windows Media player to compile the files. Can give the link if anyone is interested. Very easy and the price is right - free!

So I built the chest lights using super cheap Chinese chips bought off the internet - a whole pack of 555 timer and 4017 chips for like, 2 dollars or something. But for the sound I wanted decent quality so I didn't mind springing 25 bucks for your 16mb audio chip. Also I have to trigger chest lights off the audio, so the dual speaker outputs were perfect!

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for your reply and attention.

JL

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

To save 2 cents on the data wire?
Yes. It's as simple as that. :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”