📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

Suggested LCD module refresh rate?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Suggested LCD module refresh rate?

by wesg on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:41 pm

My latest project incorporates an LCD display for setting information and providing feedback about motor speed, active mode, etc. The problem is that the LCD requires refreshing manually to update information. If it isn't refreshed, old information is still visible (ie. updating 100 with 10 leaves the last 0 in place).

Is there an optimal refresh rate? I've tried setting the refresh rate to various values, but a flicker remains. I've also tried updating only when necessary but that code becomes very complicated.

The LCD is 20x4 character display, FYI.
http://www.wesg.ca - Macs and more, including Arduinos!
MacBook Pro 13" - Mountain Lion
Ubuntu Server - Nimitz - 9.25TB
4.0 GHz i7-950 watercooled workstation
Arduino / Arduino MEGA / Arduino Pro MINI / Raspberry Pi

wesg

Re: Suggested LCD module refresh rate?

by franklin97355 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Could you show us your code and the part number of the display? It would help.

franklin97355

Re: Suggested LCD module refresh rate?

by sirket on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 am

wesg wrote:My latest project incorporates an LCD display for setting information and providing feedback about motor speed, active mode, etc. The problem is that the LCD requires refreshing manually to update information. If it isn't refreshed, old information is still visible (ie. updating 100 with 10 leaves the last 0 in place).

Is there an optimal refresh rate? I've tried setting the refresh rate to various values, but a flicker remains. I've also tried updating only when necessary but that code becomes very complicated.

The LCD is 20x4 character display, FYI.

Character LCD's are _slow_. You can't just update the whole screen or buffer they way you would with a large graphical LCD. You need to update only the part of the LCD that's changing. It's more complicated- but it's a lot smoother.
sirket

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.