Looking for a video controller
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Looking for a video controller

by Unamazing_Rando on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:34 pm

I'm posting here because, as the title suggests, I'm looking for a video controller board I can use with a Sharp lcd display salvaged from an old laptop... and I mean OLD!! (a Toshiba 400CDT, screen's model number lq11s353)
In my search, I found one on the adafruit site, but am not immediately sure if this will actually connect to the screen I have.
So, um.... help?
Thank you.

Unamazing_Rando

Re: Looking for a video controller

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:12 pm

I'm afraid you'll need to find documentation for the laptop to find out what kind of driver it needs.

TFT displays are some of the most frustrating hardware for Makers because they're excellent devices, but there are no standards, and most tend to be custom-made for a specific product. The designers put the signals wherever they'll be most convenient for the rest of the board layout. To make things more complicated, TFTs have a startup process where different parts of the chip have to start running before others. You need the documentation to learn that sequence.

If you don't have a datasheet or a working system that you can connect to a logic analyzer, getting an unknown TFT to work is a major reverse-engineering project.

adafruit_support_mike

by Unamazing_Rando on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:58 am

I see...
well, they've been around for long enough.. with any luck it won't be impossible to find documentation on this screen.
Thank you. ^_^

Unamazing_Rando

by OliVDB5590 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:29 am

Is there an aftermarket part that could be useful in this situation? I mean, if the main issue is that the TFT has a very specific and undocumented starting sequence, couldn't it be an option to go for an aftermarket equivalent that does have documentation regarding its working process and requirements? Sure, it'll cost money compared to a salvaged part from a dead laptop, but it looks like you'll end up spending more on coffee and aspirin trying to make the salvaged part work.

OliVDB5590

by Unamazing_Rando on Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:07 am

That is true, I was mainly looking into this because I already have the screen.
I didn't really have a project planned with this thing in mind, so it won't be a big deal if I find out it's beyond me to get it working.. as I'm not really that literate when it comes to electronics, but I'm working on that.

Unamazing_Rando

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.