📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

Looking for a good DIY Turntable (LP) Headphone amp project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Looking for a good DIY Turntable (LP) Headphone amp project

by squeezebox86 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi everyone!
I am hoping that someone has already done this. I have a turntable and wish to build a average or better headphone amplifier for it. I do not wish to hook the turntable up to a receiver to save space, and generally it would just be myself enjoying my selection of music anyways. I was hoping someone might know of a project/plan that is already out there. The amp can be either all 'digital' or can be a tube amp. I would appreciate any help you all could offer! Thanks!

~Squeezebox86
squeezebox86

Re: Looking for a good DIY Turntable (LP) Headphone amp project

by K5HJ on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:01 pm

In your quest, you might keep in mind that you will also need an RIAA phono stage to equalize the signal from the turntable. There are lots of designs out there using op-amps, discrete transistors, FETs, and vacuum tubes. I prefer the tubes myself if only for nostalgic reasons.

The impedance of the phones plays a big role in the driving requirements. Low impedance (50 Ohms or less) are a bit tougher to drive than the high impedance ones without resorting to magnetics. The 300 to 600 Ohms phones better lend themselves to tube drivers.

Randy
K5HJ

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.