๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Solar Panel (PID 2747) producing no power
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Solar Panel (PID 2747) producing no power

by djurichj on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:37 am

I ordered one of the "colossal" solar panels (PID 2747) back in November 2018, finally put it in service back in March 2019, and it is no longer producing power. At all.

I pulled the panel down from my weatherstation project. Open-circuit voltage in full sunlight is in the 10s of millivolts. Short-circuit current is 0mA.

My project uses the solar charger (PID 390) and a 6600mAh battery (PID 353) with a 3.3V regulator (PID 2166) on the output running sensors and a microcontroller. All of those components still work; I tested them with a 5V barrel-connector power source. I was also able to confirm continuity through the adapter cable (PID 2788), so I know that works. The solar panel is the only part that does not work, and there is no visible damage.

Are there any suggestions for troubleshooting the panel? It seems a simple enough item to me that I can't think of anything to try beyond what I have already done.

djurichj

Re: Solar Panel (PID 2747) producing no power

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:50 pm

It sounds like the connection between the solar cells and the output wiring has failed.

One end of the cable is usually soldered to a region of copper plating on the back of the cell, and the other connects to the bus that joins the silver traces on the front of the panel.

If you have a diode tester, what voltage do you see when you test the panel with the polarity reversed (positive probe to the negative output from the panel)?

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.