How to get Audio to Arduino over USB?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

How to get Audio to Arduino over USB?

by Korlimann on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:14 am

Good afternoon everyone!

Sorry, I think the title might be a bit confusing but I have no idea how to spell my problem other than that.
Also, yeah. I'm one of those people that want to make their Adafruit Neopixel Audio Reactive.

So, I've looked through tons of tutorials, and all of them mostly use a microphone to pick up the Sound and make the LEDs react according to that. However, I don't want to use a microphone or anything the like for two reasons:

1: I'm a poor and greedy student and I don't want to buy a microphone.
2: I'm thinking that the microphone (at least in my case) might not do a good job on actually picking up audio

EDIT: I found out a SensorKit I got from school for the raspberry had these two microphones inside:
http://sensorkit.en.joy-it.net/index.ph ... ensitivity)
http://sensorkit.en.joy-it.net/index.ph ... sor_module
Could I use either of those to follow one of the many tutorials?

I've searched around and found a thread from 2010, where someone linked a programm that's actually able to send audio and such data over a port to the arduino - sounds perfect, but the microsoft file he linked that's apparently needed to run the programm is not supported anymore and I can't run it without.

So, my ultimate question would be: What could I do to get the audio signal of my music to my arduino, and how can I process it there to make cool light effects n stuff.
Thanks a bunch and have a great day everyone!

Korlimann

Re: How to get Audio to Arduino over USB?

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:51 am

The KY-038 microphone module looks similar to the microphone modules used in our guides and would probably work.

Most Arduinos are not capable of receiving an Audio stream via USB since the USB interface supports only serial communication by default. With some Arduino compatibles, it is possible to re-program the firmware on the USB interface chips, but that is a rather advanced topic.

adafruit_support_bill

by Korlimann on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:56 am

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The KY-038 microphone module looks similar to the microphone modules used in our guides and would probably work.

Thanks. I've tried with the KY-037 microphone because I found another guide that appeared to be using this particular one, but it only picked up music if I held it directly in front of my phone for example. I'll try with the KY-038 now, maybe that'll work better

Korlimann

by Korlimann on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Most Arduinos are not capable of receiving an Audio stream via USB since the USB interface supports only serial communication by default. With some Arduino compatibles, it is possible to re-program the firmware on the USB interface chips, but that is a rather advanced topic.

Since the KY-038 and 037 don't seem to work, I wanted to try another approach now.

My music runs through a HiFi system before it goes to my speakers. I could easily hook up a cable to get exactly the music that's playing, which I could then redirect to where the analog pin was previously going.

Could that work?

Korlimann

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Yes. If you have a line-level or headphone output, you can connect it to an analog pin.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.