📣📪 🚚 Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 🗓. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET 🕚 Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 📣📪🚚

HDMI 4 Pi: 5" Display - White Screen
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

HDMI 4 Pi: 5" Display - White Screen

by STJF on Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:23 am

I was setting up the HDMI 5" display (no touch) with a raspberry pi to display looping video. I got everything working great but the video was very dark-looking on the display, I clicked the "menu" button that is part of the display and found a menu with a listing of something like syk1, syk2, syk3, etc. all down in a row(I can't remember exactly what it said), it was on a higher number and I clicked to syk1 (or again, whatever the specific listing was) and then the display turned bright white. I've power cycled the display, unhooked it from the board, left it unplugged overnight, but nothing I've done stops the display from being bright white and I can no longer access the menu to switch it back to what it was originally. If I could factory reset the monitor I feel like this would correct the issue, but I can't access the menu to do that.

STJF

Re: HDMI 4 Pi: 5" Display - White Screen

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:11 pm

Could you post a link to the product page for the display you have please? A couple of the tutorials have button sequences you can punch blindly.

adafruit_support_mike

by STJF on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi thanks, this is the page for the display I have: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1928

Also, if I get the white screen problem fixed and the display continues to be too dark to screen my video acceptably, do you have an alternate display that you could suggest?

STJF

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:32 pm

Thank you. This page has a list of menu options:

https://learn.adafruit.com/hdmi-ubergui ... iver-board

The first option of the third menu (Function) is a hardware reset. That should take the display back to the same condition as when it came out of the box.

Once you can see what’s on the screen again, you should be able to adjust the brightness and contrast to get the output you want. For now, just focus on getting any visible output.

adafruit_support_mike

by STJF on Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks for the info, I checked the page and have tried many combos of button pressing but can not get it to reset. It's unclear if I press "menu, menu, menu, down, menu" or if I press "menu, down, down, menu, down" or "menu, menu, menu, up, menu" Menu is both select and new menu and I'm not sure when it is active as either (for example, when I click menu for the first time, is the first setting high-lighted? Because then pressing menu just selects that setting. Regardless, I've tried key combinations that didn't work, powered off, powered on again and tried a different key combination, over and over again and have not been able to get it to factory reset. Please help, thanks.

STJF

by STJF on Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:54 pm

I found this forum that was last updated 2018: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=65485 and have tried the button sequence they suggest, I've tried multiple times but the screen remains blank.

STJF

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:16 pm

I’ll have someone check a unit from stock and post their results.

adafruit_support_mike

by adafruit2 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm

ST try

Power
    Menu
    ++
    ++
    Menu
    Menu
    ---
    Menu

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.