๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Solenoids without the click
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Solenoids without the click

by richddt on Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:23 pm

I've recently discovered that the clicking sound from solenoids is the sound made when the plunger bottoms out; are there solenoids here that do not bottom out & make that click? Or can clicking ones be sent a different voltage or duration of signal to prevent the click? This is for a musical application, strong solenoids preferred. Any advice here much appreciated, thanks!

richddt

Re: Solenoids without the click

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:51 pm

All the solenoids we have will click if they are allowed to travel to their limits. If you arrange for it to hit something like a rubber stopper before reaching the internal limit, you can avoid the click.

I have seen solenoids with no internal hard limits. If you check with some of the larger electronics suppliers like Mouser or DigiKey, they should carry a wider variety of styles.

adafruit_support_bill

by richddt on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:59 pm

Interesting idea re: rubber stopper/washer. For a push-pull solenoid, would that be inserted just outside the housing on the side with the spring, or on both sides?

I talked to Mouser & Digikey and they recommended Johnson Electric's Soft Shift series, BTA series, or STA series. Much pricier (some are $200 each) so hopefully I can find others or figure out the right way to get some rubber in there.

richddt

by franklin97355 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:42 pm

How are you using them in your project? old mechanical doorbells used solenoids that were constrained by the chimes themselves.

franklin97355

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:20 am

Any soft stops would probably need to be external. It is easier to constrain the motion of the push-pull style solenoids since the plunger extends out both the front and back of the unit.

The doorbell solenoids mentioned by Franklin would probably be good for your application. These are constrained only by striking the chimes at either end of their travel. There are no internal stops in the solenoid itself. Just a weak spring to pull the plunger back to the center.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.