Looking to make a DJ controller
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Looking to make a DJ controller

by Butrdtost on Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:13 pm

I have a friend who would like have me make them something they can use to do things like skip, play
pause music and such.
They are a DJ and I actually got the idea after seeing the DIY Bluetooth Gamepad... I thought it would be easy enough to modify the functions to send media buttons instead of game controls.
Only issue being she would need 50-100ft range and need it to be as plug and play as possible when I give it to her. Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to keep it under $100 if at all possible.
Would it be better to just figure out how to mod the antenna on one of the Bluetooth boards to give it a larger range?
And yes I know things like this already exist but I wouldn't be asking if I didn't have faith in this community to support this type of crazy fun idea.
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Butrdtost

Re: Looking to make a DJ controller

by johnpark on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:03 pm

The biggest gotcha for sure is range and reliability in an environment full people and things that can block signal. I'd look into using a pair of RFM69 or LoRa RFM95 based boards, such as https://www.adafruit.com/product/3078 These packet radio systems are great at sending small messages over great distances reliably.

You'd set up one as the transmitter with an antenna, battery and buttons, and then a second one as the receiver plugged into the DJ laptop/computer. Press "play" on transmitter, receiver gets that message and then sends the play command over USB just like it's a computer keyboard with the "play" media key on it.

Here's an example of a similar setup https://learn.adafruit.com/remote-effects-trigger although I wasn't doing the USB part of it, but that would not be difficult to add, as the 32u4 or M0 chip based Feathers show up as USB HID devices.

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.