Powering Neopixels from a PowerBoost?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Nartus1138

Powering Neopixels from a PowerBoost?

Post by Nartus1138 »

Hello!

I have a project where I would like to have the neopixels powered from another battery in a portable project of mine.

The initial design was to have a single battery for a Pi3 B+, 7" TFT screen, Pi Camera and the pixels powered from a 6600 mAh battery using the PowerBoost 1000c. The Pi B+ would be controlling the Neopixels.

After doing some math this would not last as long as I hoped. So I then though about charging two of the batteries (6600 mAh) in parallel. The information I have found so far points to this being a bad Idea especially with a PowerBoost 1000c in the mix. So to fix this, I was thinking of having one of the 6600mAh batteries and PowerBoost 1000c power the Pi, 7" screen, and the camera. While the other 6600 mAh battery power the NeoPixels. Which at the point will be one 24 ring and a 12 ring. More will be added over time as I finalize my 3D model.

I had read that it is not a good idea to have the Pixels powered from any PowerBoost board. So I was wondering if there is a board that would still allow the same functionality as a PowerBoost or close to it.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Powering Neopixels from a PowerBoost?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

So I was wondering if there is a board that would still allow the same functionality as a PowerBoost or close to it.
What PowerBoost functionality are you looking for? You do not need the 5v boost for the pixels. They will run perfectly well powered directly from the 3.7v LiPo. In addition to being more efficient, you won't need the 3.3v->5v level shifter for the signal.

For charging, there are plenty of options: https://www.adafruit.com/category/575

Nartus1138

Post by Nartus1138 »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping for the "pass-through", I think thats the right term. The power boost can do as it can power the pixels if needed and charge the battery. The other chargers listed as I was reading through didn't seem to have that ability unless I had missed something.

For example, https://www.adafruit.com/product/259 would be perfectly fine but I am not seeing anything saying that the board could do the pass-through capability.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Solar charger has the same load-sharing capability: https://www.adafruit.com/product/390
If you are not using a solar panel as your power source, you don't need to install the large capacitor.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”