Shorted HDMI Micro plug?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Shorted HDMI Micro plug?

by wolfertz on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi,

To connect my Rpi4 to an HDMI display, I'm assembling a right angle HDMI Micro plug with a flat ribbon cable. The rpi4 will drive the display if i use a standard molded cable, so I know the Rpi4 output is capable of driving the display. I also know the cable works fine if I assemble it with a regular HDMI plug (and driving with another video source). But it doesn't work if I assemble the cable with the micro HDMI plug (driven by the Rpi4)...the screen will just power cycle.

Rpi4 -> standard cable -> display.....OK (Rpi4 is functioning.)
Video source -> flat ribbon cable -> display.....OK (ribbon cable is functional.)
Rpi4-> micro hdmi ribbon cable -> display.......NOK (micro hdmi plug not working?)

I was ohming out the micro plug and some pins are shorted. Is this expected? Is there a schematic available for the Right Angle (R Bend) Micro HDMI Plug[ID:3557]?

Thanks,
Chris.

wolfertz

Re: Shorted HDMI Micro plug?

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:31 am

All HDMI plugs have the same pinout:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

There are four differential signal pairs, each of which has a 'shield' line to keep the signals from interfering with each other. All of the shields are connected to GND, so it's reasonable to think they're shorted together one way or another.

There could be a problem in the plug though.. let's try a new one.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you a replacement.

(#3557)

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.