Raspberry 4 b handheld Console sound
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry 4 b handheld Console sound

by ceegeebug on Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:32 pm

Hey guys,

So i am working on my rpi 4 hand held project which contains a 7inch screen along with 10000mah battery pack all in one custom designed 3d printed enclosure. The only thing is missing is SOUND!!! (which is a must for retro classics). I have two left n right 8 ohm mini speakers that with fit in the enclosure but I don't know how to set it up properly.

It should have both headset and speaker with volume control feature in it. So if i insert headset to 3.5mm jack, speaker should shut off automatically. Do you guys have any setup guide or suggestion how I can achive this? It will be a big help if you point me to the right direction.

For my build process follow me on Instagram: @waseemdigital

ceegeebug

Re: Raspberry 4 b handheld Console sound

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:22 am

adafruit_support_mike

by ceegeebug on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:52 am

Hey Mike,
Thank you for the quick reply. These projects are cool but need something which doesn't require soldering on RPI4.
I found this Bonnet "Adafruit I2S Audio Bonnet for Raspberry Pi" there is one without lineout. Do you think it is going to be perfect for it? And most importantly compatible with raspberry Pi 4.
Moreover in this bonnet how I can solder volume potentiometer?

Thanks again :)

ceegeebug

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:48 pm

You can't control the Audio Bonnet's volume with a potentiometer. The I2S amplifier is driven by a stream of digital samples, so you have to control the volume in software.

You don't have to solder connections to the RasPi to get audio output. The PiGrrl projects only do that to save space. If you have space for it, you can use a TRRS audio plug in the RasPi's audio jack:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2914

adafruit_support_mike

by ceegeebug on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:11 am

I dont want to compromise headphone jack with the speakers. Is there anyway that i can use both same time and have volume control?

After some research i found something called a rotary encoder. With some coding along with attaching rotary to GPIO pins, is that doable to sync with amixer?

ceegeebug

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.