๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

NeoTrellis M4 express stuck in bootloader mode
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

NeoTrellis M4 express stuck in bootloader mode

by amorroxic on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi guys, I have a NeoTrellis M4 express stuck in boot (bootloader mode).

Tried in both OSX 10.12.6 / Ubuntu 18.04 via different USB ports - it's mounting the TRELM4BOOT partition, accepts a new bootloader (tried https://github.com/adafruit/uf2-samdx1/ ... ruit.7.uf2 and https://github.com/adafruit/uf2-samdx1/ ... v3.7.0.uf2) but after rebooting the small led on the back turns from blue to green after about 5 seconds and the boot partition remounts. Also tried to erase the boot (via https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... 1544719380), in which case the back led stays blue. Upon double clicking the small reset button bootloader mode pops up again and allows me to upload a new uf2 and then the scenario loops. (first push button on the front panel is green too)

I had it working a while ago and then today for about 5minutes, then while compiling a sketch it got stuck. Is there anything I can do at all?

Many thanks in advance,
Adrian

amorroxic

Re: NeoTrellis M4 express stuck in bootloader mode

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 pm

It sounds like at this point all you have on the board is the bootloader. There is no firmware to run after that.

Are you wanting to program the board using Arduino? Sounds like it:
compiling a sketch

adafruit_support_carter

by amorroxic on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Cheers for the reply.
I also had an Arduino on a separate breadboard nearby - different USB ports of course - and was attempting to setup I2C between the two (Arduino IDE, was alternatively switching Tools -> Port / Tools -> Board to push code to the two boards). At some point Trellis got stuck hence the attempt to reset / re-upload firmware. Was wondering if there's any way to bring Trellis back, mounting in a default state / fw and visible on serial as before.

amorroxic

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:58 pm

You can program the board with Arduino while in bootloader mode. Start by getting back into that - you should also see a folder named TRELM4BOOT show up to know you are in bootloader mode.

It should also show up as a port selection in Arduino Tools -> Port.

The NeoTrellis doesn't have the typical red LED to blink, but it does have a DotStar (on the back). Here's a sketch you can upload to test. It should blink the DotStar.
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
#include <Adafruit_DotStar.h>

Adafruit_DotStar strip(1, 38, 37, DOTSTAR_BRG);

void setup() {
  strip.begin();
  strip.show();
}

void loop() {
  strip.fill(0x00FFFF); strip.show();
  delay(1000);
  strip.fill(0xFF00FF); strip.show();
  delay(1000);
}

adafruit_support_carter

by amorroxic on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Thanks a mil - code compiles fine but doesn't get sent to Trellis, the board doesn't show up in Tools->Port. There is a /dev/ACM0 serial device (Mate 18.04) however upon selecting it in Arduino IDE an exception pops up while attempting to upload: processing.app.SerialException: Error touching serial port '/dev/ttyACM0'. I'm beginning to think I fried it somehow..

amorroxic

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Can we use the Ubuntu machine for troubleshooting?

Are you able to at least get the TRELM4BOOT folder to show up?

adafruit_support_carter

by amorroxic on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:02 am

Sure thing - yep, the TRELM4BOOT always shows up and I can copy new firmware on it (eq. update-bootloader-trellis_m4-v2.0.0-adafruit.7.uf2). Once the file copy completes the board unmounts automatically (back led becomes blue at this time) and after approx 5s the led turns green again and the TRELM4BOOT partition mounts automatically again, just like in reset mode without me triggering reset aka double clicking the reset button - at no time is the board accessible via serial. Will attempt to wipe everything again (uploading Trellis_M4_QSPI_Eraser.UF2 that is) and will report back. Will also try switching to Windows to test (current behaviour happens on either OSX 10.12.6 / Linux 18.04)

Kind regards.

amorroxic

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:09 am

On the Ubuntu machine, add these udev rules:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ard ... -rules-6-4

Then, in the TRELM4BOOT folder, open the file named INFO_UF2.TXT and paste the contents here.

adafruit_support_carter

by amorroxic on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:12 pm

I have added the udev rules and rebooted to be sure, still no luck unfortunately. Here's the contents of INFO_UF2.TXT:

UF2 Bootloader v2.0.0-adafruit.7 SFHWRO
Model: Trellis M4 Express
Board-ID: SAMD51G19A-Trellis-v0

And btw, just wanted to thank you for the whole back&forth - I honestly appreciate and also realize the effort you guys do in replying everyone, if you consider there's not much left to do then don't worry about it, I'll just shelve the board and move on - my hobby project was a small sequencer for glitch effects on 4 channels / 8 steps each, bela (beaglebone) + trellis - love the button/led combo on the trellis and before committing to attempting PRU bit-bang on bela wanted to test i2c between what I was considering to be an easier start, arduino+trellis.

Cheers!

amorroxic

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:48 pm

It seems like there's some hope here. The board is acting OK in general. It's just that all it has on it right now is the bootloader. If there was a hardware issue with USB, I wouldn't expect even that to work.

Let's try this. I made a test UF2 file called test.uf2 which is attached below. Download that and try to copy it to the TRELM4BOOT folder.

Report back what happens. Does it seem to copy over OK? Did the board act like it rebooted and the TRELM4BOOT folder went away? What happens with the DotStar on the back?
Attachments
test.uf2
(33 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

adafruit_support_carter

by amorroxic on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:00 pm

Thank you so much! First of all I have managed to bring it back - actually instead of fiddling with the firmware I got access to a 2nd machine (Ubuntu 18.04 Budgie) and reinstalled everything from scratch starting with Arduino IDE then was able to compile / run examples from the NeoTrellis M4 library that way.

That would lead me to believe my initial machine is the issue and all its USB ports (was checking on multiple ports/different cables/different OSes as that's a multi-boot machine) or the Arduino environment settings / potential conflict in libraries - also have libraries for a Microview and Trellis on top of standard Arduino UNO libs.

EDIT: I got it working (multi-boot machine).

a) Mate 18.04 a complete wipe of Arduino IDE followed by reinstall did it (plugged directly in ports as before, no external hub):
- removal from Snap (purge leftovers in /snap) [and/or]
- sudo apt remove --purge arduino
- fresh install (download tarball, move the resulted folder to /opt, run ./install.sh)

b) OSX 10.12.6: Trellis was visible on the USB Bus - checked with USB Prober / IORegistryExplorer.app (install details here https://superuser.com/questions/781982/how-can-i-install-usb-prober-from-the-developer-sdk-on-mac-os-x/814339#814339 ) but wasn't mounting on serial. Workaround was to add an external USB Hub (for me Elektron Overhub) mounted to a usb 3.0 port on the machine and have Trellis / Arduino served by the hub - they both appear on serial now. Possibly the issue may be tied to either voltage or usb2.0 - usb3.0 comms (tried multiple combos though), but this is only guesstimates.

Anyway, I will stop the thread here just not to further take up your time - as I've mentioned before thank you so much for your patience and kindness, this was my first experience with the forum and you guys are amazingly supportive. Kind regards and thanks a mil again!

amorroxic

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.