Broken wire (Lipo battery)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Broken wire (Lipo battery)

by snow_leopard on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Dear Adafruit customer service,

Good day to you. I have recently purchased a Lipo battery (invoice #2024108, order date 4/2/19) from Adafruit.

I started using this battery 2 weeks ago, connecting it to my Feather Wing. The project isn’t mobile at this point, so the battery was plugged into the Feather wing with wires relaxed, no dragging or pulling of the battery during testing. It was unplugged after use.

The next time I was connecting my battery to the Feather Wing, one of the wire detached from the battery. This seems like a manufacturing defect to me. If you agree with me, would you please kindly send me a replacement?

I have attached a photo of the battery. Thank you for taking the time to assist me!
Attachments
Lipo.jpg
Lipo.jpg (389.61 KiB) Viewed 45 times

snow_leopard

Re: Broken wire (Lipo battery)

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:27 am

I'm afraid the purchase date you mentioned is past our 30-day return/replace period. We can't use 'date of first use' because that's outside our control and impossible for us to verify.

Fortunately, it's easy to fix the kind of break shown above. The JST cable connects to solder pads on a PCB that holds the LiPo's protection circuit. You can fold back the Kapton tape to expose the PCB, clean the old solder and broken wire off the pad, then solder a new connection. You don't have to be intensely careful about heat because the solder pads don't have any direct connection to the LiPo.

That said, it's easiest to solder that kind of connection by melting a small blob of solder onto the pad, tinning the end of the wire, setting the tinned wire on the pad, and touching the tip of your soldering iron to the top of the wire. The iron will melt the solder in the wire first, the molten solder will transfer heat to the blob on the pad, and the blob on the pad will melt as soon as it gets to the right temperature. That gives you a good joint with the minimum practical heat transfer.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.