Issues with Data Logger Shield Pins
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Issues with Data Logger Shield Pins

by DavidJarma on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Hey all,

Recently I've been working on a project that reads temperature and relative humidity with a DHT11 and records it on an SD card with the Data Logger shield. I've succesfully communicated with the RTC onboard the shield as well as the card reader. The issue I'm having is with the digital and analog pins. It seems that only about half of the pins are working correctly.

With a https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/rowan07/make-a-simple-led-circuit-ce8308 I tested the output of each digital pin. D2,4,6,8,10,11,12 and 13 were succesfully able to light the LED while D3,5,7 and 9 did not. I tested the analog pins with the DHT11 and pins A1,A3 and A5 read reasonable values while A0, A2 and A4 were reading -999 for both Temp and RH.
I used the https://www.adafruit.com/product/85 so I can mess around with a breadboard and prototype before making the connections permanent (maybe this is a bad assumption?)

I'm fairly new to soldering so the issue could very well be the solder joints (pictures) but what threw me off was that it seems that there is a pattern in which pins work and which dont (every other pin)

board bottom.jpg
board bottom.jpg (422.25 KiB) Viewed 54 times

board top.jpg
board top.jpg (431.87 KiB) Viewed 54 times

Has anyone else had this issue and if so how did you get around it?

DavidJarma

Re: Issues with Data Logger Shield Pins

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 pm

The shield itself requires some pins to operate. Assuming that you are using an Arduino UNO, Pins 10, 11, 12, 13 are the SPI bus used to communicate with the SD card. Pins A4 and A5 are the i2c bus used to communicate with the Real Time Clock.

The stacking pins are straight-through connections to the Arduino header pins. But the pins mentioned above also have connections to circuitry on the shield. Connecting them to other circuitry can create conflicting conditions where that circuitry, and/or the shield circuitry will not work.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.