Recommendations for a Magic Prop.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Recommendations for a Magic Prop.

by Captain_Slaymore on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:48 am

Greetings All,
I am very new to Aurdino and Adafruit builds. A lot of what i am looking at on the site is rather confusing as to what exactly i need to get my project up and running and would love some build advice from you friendly and intelligent folks. I am looking to build a magic prop that needs to be able to do the following.

Control 6 Stepper motors or 4 steppers and 2 DC motors.
Control 2 micro servos,
control 2 solenoids.
Have IR remote control capabilities so i can push a button to control/step the components individually (8 button/channel remote)
and play an MP3 sound file as needed.
I can code and wire the stuff, but i have no idea what shield or wing or whatever can do things like the IR remote. Any help or list of products needed would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Captain_Slaymore

Re: Recommendations for a Magic Prop.

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:10 pm

A little more detail would be helpful - especially for selecting the motor drivers.

Control 6 Stepper motors or 4 steppers and 2 DC motors.

Do you have electrical specs for the motors?
For the stepper motors: how many steppers will be moving at a time?
What speeds do they need to move at?

You can use one of the Fx or Music Maker boards for the sound.
IR can be done with the TSOP38238 receiver.
Servos can be wired directly.
Solenoids just need an FET and a Diode.

adafruit_support_bill

by Captain_Slaymore on Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Thanks for the reply Bill, The steppers are just the ones from the store here, Small Reduction Stepper Motor - 5VDC 32-Step 1/16 Gearing. I only need to run one motor at a time, each motor assigned to a different button / channel on the remote, each programmed to do its little loop while the button is held.

We are buying everything from the store here. The servos are the 180 degree with the stop at 0, they need to move fairly quickly, if not, we will use a solenoid. I think we have clarified that i will need a metro and 2 or three of the Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit - v2.3, unless there is a smaller form factor in Feather or the Cricket. It is a magic prom so space is tight.
And thanks for the IR info, that helps a lot.

Captain_Slaymore

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 pm

The steppers are just the ones from the store here, Small Reduction Stepper Motor - 5VDC 32-Step 1/16 Gearing. I only need to run one motor at a time,

There is no problem driving the small reduction steppers from the motor wings. Although, due to the gear reduction, rotation speed is relatively slow.

The servos are the 180 degree with the stop at 0, they need to move fairly quickly, if not, we will use a solenoid.

Some of the current crop of servos from TowerPro tend to have slightly less than full 180 degree motion. Not sure of your application, but if you do need the full 180 travel, you should consider going with one of the HiTec or Futaba models.

https://servodatabase.com/ is a good reference for comparing servo specs - including rotation speed.

I think we have clarified that i will need a metro and 2 or three of the Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit - v2.3, unless there is a smaller form factor in Feather or the Cricket. It is a magic prom so space is tight.

If space is tight, I'd recommend using a Feather. There are motor wings and music maker wings for the Feather:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2927
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3357
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3436

adafruit_support_bill

by Captain_Slaymore on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm

amazing, thanks so much for the information. Looking forward to this build.

Captain_Slaymore

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.