Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

DIY WiFi Raspberry Pi Touchscreen Camera
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

DIY WiFi Raspberry Pi Touchscreen Camera

by rockman55 on Thu May 07, 2020 1:27 pm

I have been trying to recreate this project, even using the older pi and Wheezy software, still having problems getting it to work. Is there any new updates for this project or plans to do so. I really like this project and would like to be able to use a newer Pi and one of the new Raspberry High Quality Cameras. Please let us know if this is in the works or some similar project that can be used. Thanks Danny

rockman55

Re: DIY WiFi Raspberry Pi Touchscreen Camera

by mikeysklar on Thu May 07, 2020 3:09 pm

Hey Danny,

You can safely use this guide for any model of Pi up to the 3B+ and with a newer 8MP camera.

Pi 3B+
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3775

Pi Camera v2 8MP camera
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3099

mikeysklar

by rockman55 on Thu May 07, 2020 6:10 pm

I have tried almost all of the RPI's and cannot get to run. I even went back to the original Pi2 that I originally used. I usually get the following error after running "sudo python cam.py":
pi@DIYPiCam ~/adafruit-pi-cam-master $ sudo python cam.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "cam.py", line 568, in <module>
pygame.mouse.set_visible(False)
pygame.error: video system not initialized.
If you know of some special modifications that need to be applied I would like to know them. I have followed the exact instructions in the site at: https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-wifi-ras ... m/pi-setup. I would like to use a Pi 3B+, so what version of Raspibian should I use and are there any modifications that need to be made in the instructions?
Thanks for you quick reply.

rockman55

by mikeysklar on Thu May 07, 2020 8:13 pm

Was your TFT display working? Are you able to watch your Pi boot on the LCD?

The error message makes it sounds like the display is not being found.

mikeysklar

by rockman55 on Thu May 07, 2020 9:57 pm

I can see the terminal screen on the LCD and I have an older version of this program on a Pi 2 that displays the program but I don't get any response if I touch the screen. I have 3 of these LCD and I have the same issue with each. I have tried to load Buster, Stretch and Jesse but I cannot get any of them to work. Not sure what to do at this point. I was hoping that the project might get updated with a newer version of software and camera.Thanks for your help.

rockman55

by mikeysklar on Fri May 08, 2020 12:43 pm

rockman55,

Have you been using the adafruit-pi-tft.sh script to do your setup as detailed in this guide? We keep this quite up to date to work with all the modern distributions including Buster Feb. 2020 release.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-2 ... sy-install

mikeysklar

by rockman55 on Fri May 08, 2020 12:58 pm

Yes I have used it every time. That part seems to work, because after I boot up I see everything on the LCD. The problem begins after running the install for cam.py and using the Easy Install. I am just not trying again to not use the Easy Install but going with the Complex Install From Scratch. I will respond after I use this method. Thanks

rockman55

by rockman55 on Fri May 08, 2020 3:23 pm

Well that did not go well. There are numerous errors with the Complex Install From Scratch section, in the Install Prerequisite Software I could not perform the instructions as written. As an example when I ran the first command:echo "deb http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian wheezy main
" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wheezy.list
I get this response:
-bash: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wheezy.list: Permission denied
So I ran sudo su and this seemed to correct the problem. However when trying to run the other commands in that section there were issues with the way the commands were listed. Next I ran the apt-get update and it seemed ok, but when running sudo apt-get -y --force-yes install python-picamera python-pygame python-imaging, I get this message: W: --force-yes is deprecated, use one of the options starting with --allow instead. I went ahead anyway, then when running this command:apt-get -y --force-yes install libsdl1.2debian/wheezy, I get this message:
pi@DIYPiCam:/etc/apt/apt.conf.d $ sudo apt-get -y --force-yes install libsdl1.2debian/wheezy
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Release 'wheezy' for 'libsdl1.2debian' was not found.
I continued on and ran the commands in Download the Camera and Dropbox Scripts. I continued on and went directly to try and run the cam.py program and get the same message as before:pi@DIYPiCam:~/adafruit-pi-cam-master $ sudo python cam.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
pygame.mouse.set_visible(False)
pygame.error: video system not initialized
pi@DIYPiCam:~/adafruit-pi-cam-master $

Can you explain why there are so many errors in the Complex Install From Scratch section, and what corrections I can make to successful install this project?
Thanks again for your help.

rockman55

by rockman55 on Sat May 09, 2020 3:09 pm

I make a new install using Stretch lite and followed all the easy install instructions, with one exception. I used a different PiTFT, a 3.2 in 320x240. This time the camera program stats and shows the Setting icon at bottom left and the right arrow icon on bottom right, when I touch the screen in any screen location the camera starts taking pictures with the Working message appearing constantly. I have to reboot via SSH to stop it. I tried the calibration program and that completed but the problem still persist with the Working Icon. I have seen other post dealing with the same problem but can't seem to get back there to see if there is a solution to this. I guess there was something wrong with the other screens I was testing.
Hope you can help me with this problem.
Thanks,
Danny

PS the new Pi camera works great.

rockman55

by rockman55 on Sat May 09, 2020 9:44 pm

I found the other posts referring to the same problem. It looks like someone made a comment about the 12c setting but this doesn't change anything. The post is:https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=126998&p=633333&hilit=DIY+WiFi+Raspberry+Pi+Touchscreen+Camera#p633333

Thanks

rockman55

by rockman55 on Tue May 19, 2020 5:42 pm

Hey mikeysklar do you have any additional suggestion for this project?
Tnanks

rockman55

by mikeysklar on Wed May 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi rockman55,

Did you try enabling the i2c setting using raspi-config?

Also, I had seen posts about the camera size mode (medium --> large) inside of takePicture() which might be the culprit for the lag when taking photos.

mikeysklar

by rockman55 on Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 am

Can you expand on those thoughts?

rockman55

by JC_LaFleur on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:05 am

I am having this same problem trying to get this project to work... no matter where I touch the screen, it gets stuck endlessly taking pictures with the "working" indicator blinking on and off every few seconds.
Enabling I2C did not fix the problem.
The tutorial for this project seems pretty outdated, the install scripts refer to wheezy and jessie. I tried installing this with the latest release of Raspberry Pi OS Buster Lite.
Do we need to downgrade to wheezy to make this project work?
I am using this with a 3.2" RaspCam board... the one with the 3.2" TFT screen and the camera module integrated on the same board...
I want to use it with this telescope adapter...
I would really like to get the touchscreen camera software working in standalone mode so I can use this setup out in the field as the RaspCam board is idea solution for telescope mounting.
This is a really great project and it would be a shame to see it become unusable. Are there any plans to update this project (maybe to python3), or is there some way to make it work as is?

Thank you.

JC_LaFleur

by rockman55 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:58 pm

[I have got this project to work using Pi 3B+ and Raspbian Buster. I have the Adafruit 2.8 in PITFT and a new Pi HQ camera. I first installed the Buster copy of Raspbian (version from 02-13-2020) did configured with location, enabled camera and SSH and of course WiFi. The first step I did was to install the PITFT from the example at https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-wifi-ras ... -touch-cam, going to Pi Setup and then click on the Green Square for the installation of the 2.8" Restive PITFT. Follow the Installer Script and when you get to the part that ask if you want to install the "Configuring what shows where" choose "PiTFT as HDMI Mirror (Best for Raspbian Full/PIXEL)". The system will reboot then log back in to SSH or from a terminal and run "Easy Install" from the original instruction page (https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-wifi-ras ... m/pi-setup). Let this run and reboot, but before you try and test the just completed install you will need to change the file located in directory "adafruit-pi-cam-master", cam.py to the attached new cam.py file and then run as show in the instructions.
Good Luck, I spent many hours researching this project and found some help from the folks at PiJuice.

PS Be sure to change the file name to cam.py and replace it with the one that was created by the Easy Install.
Attachments
cam.txt
change the file extension to py ex: cam.py
(23.88 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

rockman55

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.