Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Battery charger question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Battery charger question

by John_Adler on Mon May 25, 2020 2:59 pm

Hi-

I have the USB Lilon/LiPoly charger:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/259

I use it to charge the Lithium Ion Polymer 3.7 volt battery, 2500 mAh:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/328

I monitor the voltage level of the battery as it charges, and what I notice is, in the first several hours the battery goes for 3.7 volts to about 4.14 volts. Then it takes an addition 2 hours to go up to 4.16 volts, at which time the green light comes on, indicating that it’s done.

I’m wondering if there’s any reason that I shouldn’t remove the battery when it’s 4.14 volts, saving the 2 hours charging time.

Thanks for your help,

John Adler

John_Adler

Re: Battery charger question

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon May 25, 2020 5:10 pm

Charging a LiPo battery is much like filling a tub with cold molasses. After a short pre-conditioning phase, the charger starts the fast-charge phase. This charges the battery at some preset maximum current level until the cell reaches a voltage consistent with a full charge. But at that point, the cell is only about 80%. The charge level has not actually spread out to the far corners of the cell. So the charge controller switches to a constant-voltage 'trickle-charge' mode. This continues until the charge current goes to zero - indicating that the charge has leveled off across the whole cell.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Battery charger question

by John_Adler on Mon May 25, 2020 5:25 pm

Thanks so much! Very helpful.

John_Adler

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.