Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Wave Shield Live Audio?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Wave Shield Live Audio?

by HeadhunterCrafts on Fri May 29, 2020 5:20 am

Hi there,
I'm trying to get a setup that will change my voice into a vintage radio kind of sound (Alastor from Hazbin Hotel, for reference). I've been recommended to try a tweeter speaker, as well as a Wave Shield for Arduino, but when looking at the product it says it plays from an SD card. Is live audio possible with a Wave Shield, and am I able to get something that sounds like what I want?
Thanks in advance!

HeadhunterCrafts

Re: Wave Shield Live Audio?

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri May 29, 2020 6:33 am

Is live audio possible with a Wave Shield

Yes, it is possible to do live-audio voice changing with the Wave shield: https://learn.adafruit.com/wave-shield-voice-changer

and am I able to get something that sounds like what I want?

The voice change software linked above changes the pitch of your voice. You could probably modify it to better replicate a vintage radio sound. But I think there are easier ways to go about it.

Old radio receivers didn't change the pitch of the sound. But the sound tended to be deficient in the lower frequencies and suffered from distortion, static and sometimes cross-talk from adjacent stations.

Filtering out the low frequencies is easy: You can just use a smaller speaker and/or just a speaker with no enclosure. For the static and interference, search for "AM radio static sound effect" and you will find plenty of sound-tracks you can mix in with your main voice feed.

adafruit_support_bill

by HeadhunterCrafts on Fri May 29, 2020 8:00 am

Filtering out the low frequencies is easy

So you think stripping the lower frequencies over pitch changes would be better? The tweeter speaker I've ordered is a vintage one and tweeters apparently don't have capacity to play bass really so I guess that should be fine?

sound-tracks you can mix in with your main voice feed

Do you know of any good tutorial or resources I can use to help me do that? I'm new to all of this ^^'

HeadhunterCrafts

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri May 29, 2020 8:21 am

The tweeter speaker I've ordered is a vintage one and tweeters apparently don't have capacity to play bass really so I guess that should be fine?

Just be careful not to overload it. It is true that the tweeter physically can't play the bass frequencies. However, the bass signals from an amplifier can cause the delicate voice coils in a tweeter to overheat. Most speakers use a 'crossover' circuit to filter out the bass frequencies before they get to the tweeter. Probably not a problem using a low-power amplifier module. But be careful with anything more than a few watts.
https://www.adafruit.com/?q=class%20d

Another very simple way to filter out bass is to use a speaker without an enclosure. The lower frequency sound waves coming from the back of of the speaker cone will cancel out the ones coming from the front.

Do you know of any good tutorial or resources I can use to help me do that? I'm new to all of this ^^'

A simple way to do that would be to use a stereo amplifier module with 2 speakers and play the background static on one channel and your voice on the other.

For a single-channel single-speaker solution, you could make a simple mixer circuit with a couple of audio pots and resistors as below:
https://www.adafruit.com/?q=pot
Attachments
passive mixer.gif
passive mixer.gif (38.83 KiB) Viewed 40 times

adafruit_support_bill

by HeadhunterCrafts on Fri May 29, 2020 8:28 am

Brilliant, I'll see what I can do then.
Thanks a lot for the help!

HeadhunterCrafts

by HeadhunterCrafts on Sat May 30, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi, sorry to bother again. But I'm not sure about most of these components, so I was wondering if you could explain.
The three shaded boxes (2 inputs, 1 output), are they some kind of switch?
I presume the two '10kΩ log' components are potentiometers.
And the five ground connections, I'm not sure what they're about.

HeadhunterCrafts

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat May 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Those are audio jacks like this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3692
They would be needed if you are connecting things using plugs like this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1800
They are not necessary if you wire directly.

The "10K log" devices are potentiometers. "log taper" or "audio taper" potentiometers work best for audio signals. But linear taper works too - It will just be a little more fussy to adjust.

All signals are measured relative to ground. All of the grounds from your audio sources need to be connected to the ground of the amplifier.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.