Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Huzzah ESP8266 not recognized on USB port
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Huzzah ESP8266 not recognized on USB port

by msk002_AdaFruit on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:36 am

I have one particular Huzzah ESP8266 that stopped being recognized by the USB serial port when plugged into the computer. I have identical Huzzah ESP8266's that work just fine. I have tried connecting the troublesome one to different computers/operating systems and get the same failure message on the USB port, while the other ESP8266's work fine. Yes, the drivers are installed and updated. Anyone have any ideas? Did the CP2104 go bad? Any ideas on how to resurrect it? I hate to just trow it in the "busted" box...

All thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

msk002_AdaFruit

Re: Huzzah ESP8266 not recognized on USB port

by mikeysklar on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi msk002_Adafruit,

Is the LED stuck in a dim mode?

There is a trick in the FAQ that involves getting the board "unstuck" from bootloader mode involving a 220ohm resistor.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huz ... eakout/faq

You say your led is stuck on dim and you get an error trying to upload? And you're sure your serial cable is connected and working correctly? Well, here's a potential fix: Connect the GPIO0 pin to GND through a 220 ohm resistor. Leave it connected while you upload. You may have to try it a couple of times, but it should eventually upload and get the HUZZAH unstuck from bootload mode! You can then remove the resistor connection, and your HUZZAH will be happy ever after!
(Note: you may also have to tie RST and EN (CH_PD) together to get this to work. Remove the connection once you have the module programmed).

mikeysklar

by msk002_AdaFruit on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:29 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and reference to the FAQ.

All the LEDs flash briefly when the board is plugged into the USB port, but none of them remain on, dimly or otherwise. Even though it does not fit the scnario in the FAQ, do you think there is anything to loose by trying the described procedure anyway?

It is worth noting that I have programmed and used this board in the past, but not for a while. It was sitting on my workbench for a couple of months, connected to the LiPO battery I used it with before. The battery was fully charged when the board was put aside for a couple of months. Not sure is any of this would matter?

Again, thanks for the help.

msk002_AdaFruit

by mikeysklar on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:59 pm

It sounds like your unit might not be stuck in bootloader mode, but might still need a kick in the pants to start communicating again.

There is another FAQ entry about setting the Huzzah board type and reset method which might be more applicable if the IDE can see anything, but it seems like you are not getting a serial device at all to work with.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... 338qCvfntg

Sometimes, it helps to switch the board type to "Generic ESP8266 Module". Set the Reset Method to "nodemcu"

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.