Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Making My Touchless Faucet Alexa Aware
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Making My Touchless Faucet Alexa Aware

by josep01972 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a "flow brand" touchless faucet and it is working great (picture enclosed). It consists of a sensor portion and a control box that "listens" to the sensor and turns the faucet on/off. I think it would be even better if I could use Alexa to turn the faucet on/off.

The idea:

1) add a black box in between the sensor and the control box consisting of mostly a Huzzah (my favorite board, BTW) which will communicate to an adafruit.io feed (WebFaucet) to decide when to trigger.
1a) When the feed says "toggle", use the Huzza to tell the control box to turn on/off the faucet. In other words, make the control box think it is getting the motion signal from the sensor.
1b) Obviously, motion detected from the sensor directly should work as it used to.

2) use the IFTTT service to enable Alexa to update the WebFaucet

The devil is in the details, of course. I have been able to prototype (2) easily. I can tell Alexa to toggle the faucet, which updates (through IFTTT) the WebFaucet, which makes the Huzzah toggle an LED... Piece of cake.

I have two main obstacles to step (1). One, I don't seem to find the female and male cables that connect the faucet sensor to the control box. I was hoping to not have to cut and strip the original cables, but instead connect both the faucet cable and control box to my black box directly. After searching for over a week, it seems like the cables are manufactured only for these touchless faucets. I am hoping someone here with experience with cable connectors might point me to a source. I will post a picture in the upload section. I found company on the alibaba site that seems to call them "Type B", but you can't buy just the cables. If you notice carefully, the top two leads closest to the notch are bigger than the bottom two.

The other problem I have is that I had assumed that in order to tell the control box to turn on the faucet I would simply need to short certain pins together, but that does not seem to be the case. I think there must be some "protocol" from the faucet sensor to the control box, but after googling for days, I have not found it. Maybe this is a well known thing? Is there a known protocol for communicating with IR proximity. Perhaps some sort of xx kHz wave line tv remotes?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jose
Attachments
Faucet.PNG
Faucet.PNG (152.57 KiB) Viewed 34 times
Weird Connector 2.PNG
Another view of the connector
Weird Connector 2.PNG (21.84 KiB) Viewed 34 times
Weird Connector.png
Weird Connector
Weird Connector.png (60.81 KiB) Viewed 35 times

josep01972

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.