Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

New and in need of help
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

New and in need of help

by JohnnyMell on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Hi everyone.

Johnny from the UK here. I'm a mechanical manufacturing engineer but have zero knowledge with electronics. I intend to make a humidor and I would like a digital display on the outside. I'm going to purchase the Adafruit 2.4" color TFT touch breakout ID2478 as I feel that is the best sized touch screen available for my use.

My intent is to have the screen asleep and then when I touch it it shows the company logo for a few seconds before it fades away and shows the temperature and humidity inside the box.

As I'm completely new to this I haven't a clue where to start and need your guys help to help me fill my basket so I purchase the right stuff.

1. For the sensor board ID2857. What sensor is best compatible with that?
2. What is best battery to power the assembly when it's in operation.
3. What raspberry /python /feather software or hardware do I need to program the thing to how I'd like it to operate.

I know I'm asking a lot from you guys but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a budget for this as I will happily purchase whatever equipment I'll need, I just want to make sure I get all the right bits as I'm starting from scratch.

Many thanks in advance.

Johnny

JohnnyMell

Re: New and in need of help

by dastels on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:47 pm

For a slightly different approach, have a look at https://learn.adafruit.com/humidity-and-temperature-monitor-redux-e-ink-display. For that project I used an eink display which is periodically updated. It at least might provide some inspiration.

Dave

dastels

by JohnnyMell on Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:53 am

Thanks for the reply Dave.

Your writeup is really informative and has helped a lot. I've ordered some bits from it to make a start with the project and experiment.

Many thanks again,

Johnny

JohnnyMell

by dastels on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:02 am

Awesome! Have fun.

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.