Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Create a switch extension
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Create a switch extension

by gauntface on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:54 pm

I bought a USB switch that allows me to share a number of USB peripherals with two computers and it has a button to switch between the computers.

The device is a single PCB with a switch soldered onto it (see attached image).

IMG_20200617_115953.jpg
IMG_20200617_115953.jpg (361.64 KiB) Viewed 25 times

I have an idea to separate the switch from the USB hub. What I'd love to do is create a small switch to put on my desk and have a wire leading to the USB hub.

Does this sound feasible? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for what I should use for the cable and fittings to go from the desk's switch to the hub? I was considering using a JST style fitting to have male and female connectors on the switch and hub so it's possible to separate the cable from the two pieces, but not sure if that's the best solution.

gauntface

Re: Create a switch extension

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:18 pm

That should be possible to do. You will need to figure out which of the 4 pins are used. That should be possible to do by examining the traces. Switches like that typically have 2 pins on each side that are connected together.

For connectors, most any type will work. If you get an extension cable, it will have mating connectors on each end. You can cut it in half and solder one side to the board and the other to your remote switch.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/616

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.