Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Out of my element
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Out of my element

by Tcartsba on Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:59 am

TL;DR
- What board or controller should I use to power and control input to Neopixel strips for color changing and light modes/effects? Bluetooth is a must! Installation will be in a customer's headlights like you see the BMW hotboiz with.

Hello all!

I've just recently purchased the Skinny NeoPixel LED Strip - Product ID 4310 and realized that I'm clueless as to where to begin with project.

This strip is being moulded into a carbon fiber housing for an automotive headlight. Supplying +5V switched and hardwired won't be a problem, but I don't know what board or controller or something else that I might need.

On the product page, one of the displayed images shows it connected to a board marked Metro which I was able to find, but I don't know that this will accomplish what I need. I want the strip to be able to "chase" in color-sequence like what's shown in the images, but also illuminate solid color for the customer. Other functions like strobe, flash, stack, or breathing/pulsing are also on the list. User-defined input via Bluetooth would be most favorable too.

I've looked at a lot of the projects on here as well as the YouTube tutorials, and I really only get bits of information that support one requirement but not others, and never anything that really matches what I'm asking for without being overkill.

I'm under the impression that the Circuit Playground Bluefruit - Product ID 4333 will accomplish the requested tasks, but what are the LEDs on the board itself for? Even more complicating, it seems that this board has a lot of other features that would never see use.

Adafruit Feather M0 Bluefruit LE - Product ID 299 also looks like it might appropriately yield the desired results. Now I feel like I'm just guessing...

It seems like it should be a very simple project with the input being given through a single DIN, but I'm only confusing myself more as I scan through the products.

Send halp!

Tcartsba

Re: Out of my element

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:11 am

The Feather M0 Bluefruit LE should do the job for you. Most any microcontroller board can handle driving the Neopixels. The Feather M0 Bluefruit LE integrates a reasonably powerful microcontroller with a BLE interface on one compact board.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2995

adafruit_support_bill

by Tcartsba on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:11 pm

Awesome! Thanks very much!

Tcartsba

by Tcartsba on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:02 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The Feather M0 Bluefruit LE should do the job for you. Most any microcontroller board can handle driving the Neopixels. The Feather M0 Bluefruit LE integrates a reasonably powerful microcontroller with a BLE interface on one compact board.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2995

I just realized that this might not be a good option. I'll be using about 1m of wire, and the neopixel strip asks for 5v. Looks like that microcontroller is only capable of 3.3v

Also, I'll be cutting the neopixel strip into two 0.5m sections. How will this affect the voltage requirements(I need it to be as bright as possible) and should I wire in parallel or series?

Thanks again for your help.

Tcartsba

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:47 am

the neopixel strip asks for 5v. Looks like that microcontroller is only capable of 3.3v

The microcontroller does not provide power to the strip. It just provides the control signal. You can use a level shifter to translate the control signal from 3.3v to 5v: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3975

Also, I'll be cutting the neopixel strip into two 0.5m sections. How will this affect the voltage requirements

Not at all. All pixels on the strip are powered in parallel. You can cut it into 1 pixel sections if you like.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.