Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Phillip Burgess's Holiday Icicle Lights with Flair project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Phillip Burgess's Holiday Icicle Lights with Flair project

by deu1 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi,

I’m in the process of building Phillip Burgess's Holiday Icicle Lights with Flair project. I’m currently assembling the parts and downloaded the sketch (OozeMaster3000). This is the URL for the project: https://learn.adafruit.com/holiday-icic ... r?view=all

I wanted to make sure that the sketch would compile properly so I tried to compile it by clicking on the Verify button in the Arduino IDE (version 1.8.13) and got the following error:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Uno"
/Users/danurbauer/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_ZeroDMA-master/Adafruit_ZeroDMA.cpp:30:10: fatal error: malloc.h: No such file or directory
#include <malloc.h> // memalign() function
^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Uno.

How do I fix this so that the code will compile? I have been a long time customer of Adafruit and would like to get this project working.

Sincerely,

Dan Urbauer

deu1

Re: Phillip Burgess's Holiday Icicle Lights with Flair proje

by dastels on Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:22 pm

Make sure that the Tools->Board setting matches the board you are using.

Dave

dastels

by deu1 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:36 am

Thanks Dave for your reply. I have made sure that the correct board is being used. However, I am just VERIFYING that the sketch will compile. As I'm sure you know, I don't have to have the board connected to VERIFY the sketch. Any other ideas as to why the error?
Dan

deu1

by dastels on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:13 pm

Right, but you do need the correct board set.

"Verify" is incorrect, since it's actually compiling your code... just not transferring it to the board. So, you need the right board to be set as many things are based on that behind the scenes.

Are all your board support packages and libraries up to date?

Dave

dastels

by deu1 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Dave, you were right. I didn't have the board packages updated and I also remembered that I had updated the Arduino IDE to 1.8.13 over the last month or so. So, I had to make sure the board support packages and libraries were up to date. When I tried to verify the sketch (I understand verifying is compiling while looking for syntax errors, etc.) it compiled properly, so then I uploaded into my Adafruit Feather MO Basic and it uploaded properly. SO, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. I REALY APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT YOU REPLIED TO MY POST AND GAVE ME SUGGESTIONS. IT HELPED FOR SURE.

Thanks again for the help. Stay safe.
Dan

deu1

by dastels on Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:21 pm

Excellent!

Have fun.

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.