Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Help with Led Charlieplex Matrix Setup
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Help with Led Charlieplex Matrix Setup

by woowoose on Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:50 am

Hi, I've been looking through the site for a couple of days trying to figure out stuff but since I'm completely new to all this, I think I'm going to need some help.

I'd like to be able to animate one of the CharliePlex LED matrices you have by using Circuit Python. I think I can do the coding. My question is what hardware to get and how to hook everything together.

I've been looking at:

CharliePlex LED Matrix Bonnet - 8x16 LEDs and then running that off the Raspberry Pi Zero - Version 1.3

or

15x7 CharliePlex LED Matrix Display FeatherWing running off the Adafruit Feather M0 Basic Proto - ATSAMD21 Cortex M0

I will only need the most basic microcontroller as I want to do two things with it - run the animation (I want to simulate something like how the aurora borealis moves) and then possibly power a couple of stand alone LEDs or neopixels. I'm installing the system in box dioramas so I'm hoping to make it small and not very expensive.

Could you help me decide which is the best set up for what I'm trying to do? Also, what do I need to connect everything? USB cable to upload code, a power supply to connect to a wall outlet and what else?

Thanks so much!

Melissa

woowoose

Re: Help with Led Charlieplex Matrix Setup

by woowoose on Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:35 am

Omg - I think I finally found an instructional with how to hook the kind of system up I'm looking for: https://learn.adafruit.com/mini-commodo ... led-matrix

The only thing different would be the coding obviously. I'd still be interested in talking to Tech Help though just to explore more about this.

Thanks!

Melissa

woowoose

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.