Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

LED Help w/Custom Build Computer
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LED Help w/Custom Build Computer

by jmoricone on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:04 pm

I am building a custom desk with PC components inside. The build will be basic as this will be for my home office but I would like to add some flare in terms of RGB (RGBw) lighting. I have been searching high and low when I came across addressable LEG / RGB in the form of NeoPixel. Based on this, I believe the SK6812 either 30 or 60 LEDs/meter with IP65 (more for dust protection than water) will suite my needs. Another company referred me to Adafruit as I am looking to connect the LEDs my computer’s PSU and controlled by my motherboard.

However, I cannot seem to find how to control the LED/RGB based on what I am envisioning. This is what I am looking to do:
1) I am looking to set up multiple zones between 4-6 plus whatever components are plugged directly into the computer that have their own RGB lighting (e.g., RAM w/RGB, Fans w/RGB, etc).
2) I would like the zones and internal components to all be managed by the computer motherboard (ASUS Maximus XII Formula) when they are on
3) However, I would like to manual power on / off the LEDs connected to each zone with their own individual switch (https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... itch/1201/)
a. This will allow me to shut off all zones and only leave the computer component RGB on (unless I shut the computer off).
4) I would like the computer’s PSU to provide power to each zone
5) Be able to sync the lighting to music, games, videos that are being played on the computer.
a. This would be a bonus item and if it cannot be done, I am okay with that.

If the zone LEDs cannot be controlled by the computer, I would still like to have them powered by the PSU with their own manual switch.

Thank you and I look forward to your response and assistance in selecting the appropriate parts.

jmoricone

Re: LED Help w/Custom Build Computer

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:17 pm

You can't control them directly from your computer. But you could control them with microcontroller like an Arduino or compatible and have your computer send commands to it via USB.

For some basic information on Neopixels and their capabilities, this is a good place to start: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... e/overview

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.