Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Pick by Light project powering up
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pick by Light project powering up

by radjasaminada on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:03 am

Hi guys,

I am working on a Pick by light project in my factory. It was already set by a previous guy, my task is to standardize it and bring it under regulations. We have 900 LEDs (NeoPixels 5mm, 30/m) powered by 6 chargers, each one providing 4A. When an operator selects a product on the interface, a LED turns on green and stays on for about a minute (so the operator knows where is the product).
And all the time, all the unavailable products are indicated with a red/orange LED. So at the worst case, only 16 LEDs will be on at a time, 15 in red/orange and 1 in green : 31 pixels * 20mA / 1000 = 0,62 A

My question is would it be enough if I powered the entire system up with a single 4A charger or should I have to take into account all the 900 LEDs ? If the latter then I need to bring a power supply of 54A and that is huge. I am really confused. I hope you guys can help me.

LEDs are connected to an ESP8266 module, communicating with RaspberryPi.

Thank you!

radjasaminada

Re: Pick by Light project powering up

by mikeysklar on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:28 pm

Hello radjasaminada,

It sounds like you answered your own question. 4A would be fine if the max current you anticipate is .62A for 31 pixels on simultaneously. Is there a scenario that more pixels would be going on or that you would be using white which can draw a maximum 60mA per pixel.

mikeysklar

by radjasaminada on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:38 am

Hi mikeysklar,

I am just worried about a parasite signal pushing all the pixels to on and get the entire system short circuited.
The system will be used by dozens of operators everyday so I don't want them harmed.

radjasaminada

by mikeysklar on Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:10 pm

I've not experienced a parasite signal issue before and I've run over 1500 neopixels chained together.

I do think it is a good idea to give yourself plenty of of headroom for your expected current loads. Our 10A power supply can offer you some piece of mind.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/658

The bigger challenge I've had with NeoPixel strips and panels is that that the soft backing isn't really designed to hold full LED current capacity for all pixels at once. Your setup sounds ideal that you are not looking for prolonged full current all pixel illumination.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.