Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

IR sensor Arduino code question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IR sensor Arduino code question

by elin05 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:28 pm

I have a question about the IR-sensing portion of the NeoPixel Basketball Hoop Arduino code:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
boolean isBallInHoop() {
  // Pulse the IR LED at 38khz for 1 millisecond
  pulseIR(1000);

// Check if the IR sensor picked up the pulse (i.e. output wire went to ground).
  if (digitalRead(IR_SENSOR) == LOW) {
    return false; // Sensor can see LED, return false.
  }

return true; // Sensor can't see LED, return true.
}

I know that this works because I have already tested it myself. However, I cannot understand why it is able to work.

Doesn't pulseIR(1000) and digitalRead(IR_SENSOR) happen sequentially? I would assume that after pulseIR(1000) returns, the IR signal as stopped and thus digitalRead(IR_SENSOR) would read high (i.e. it can't see the LED).

elin05

Re: IR sensor Arduino code question

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:08 pm

The TSOP38238 has to see between 7 and 15 IR pulses before sending its output low, then waits for 6 to 7 missing pulses before sending its output high again. That gives the microcontroller at least 150us to read the output after it stops emitting pulses.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: IR sensor Arduino code question

by elin05 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:01 pm

adafruit_support_mike wrote:The TSOP38238 has to see between 7 and 15 IR pulses before sending its output low, then waits for 6 to 7 missing pulses before sending its output high again. That gives the microcontroller at least 150us to read the output after it stops emitting pulses.

Got it, thank you!

elin05

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.